Turkeys+Blackhead+Chickens=Not Getting Turkeys

BullardBarnyard

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Ok. I really really really need help on this one, guys.
barnie.gif

We were going to get 2 turkeys to add to our flock of 12 chickens. I did some research due to lack of anything else to do, and came across BLACK HEAD..... D:
rant.gif
I told my dad and he just replied: Then I guess we dont get any, and I sure ain't building another coop.
hit.gif

Challange accepted.
yippiechickie.gif

I want to build a fairly simple coop (one that will accomadate 2 turkeys till Butchering age/adulthood.
wink.png

Any blue prints? Simple pictures?
Can the coop with the turkeys be close to the Chicken Coop? It's trasmitted though... Poop right? If they HAVE to be distanced, whats the minimum? I want it all farily close, and if I can make it side to side, woop woop!
woot.gif
So, to summerize:
woot.gif

Any details on what BH is?
Ideas for coop?
Distancing?
Thank you guys, and if it helps, we're getting them Sundayish-Mondayish. It's wednesday now. So.... Thanks a bunch guys. :)
BullardBarnyard
hugs.gif

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't know how to use Google to find out what Blackhead is?

Blackhead is a disease that usually doesn't bother chickens that much but is pretty bad for turkeys, usually fatal. Chickens can carry Blackhead and keep it active. If chickens have blackhead, they can give it to turkeys.

I raised a turkey with my chickens last year. I have some more turkeys in the brooder with chicks right now. I guess my chickens don't have Blackhead. If you have a reason to think you might have Blackhead in yoru chicken flock, then you should absolutely take precautions.

I keep my turkeys with my chickens and don't do anything special for them. I don't know any specific requirements for turkeys so I'm not any real help there.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I googled it and researched it but It didn't really register in my mind what it is. Like, it wasn't clear.
I made some blueprints and my dad thought it was kinda cool that I at least got that far, so we're going to build one now.
Thanks for the help though, :)

Did you call your local ag department to see if blackhead has been reported in your area? Blackhead disease comes from the soil, not specifically from the chickens. So, you could take all of these precautions, and have a great biosecurity plan and still end up with turkeys that get sick if its there. Call them, and if no one has reported any problems, put them in with the chickens. Good luck!:)

Chickens as well as wild birds can be carriers of the cecal worm which harbors the protozoa that causes blackhead, earthworms as well. Chickens excrete poop containing cecal worm eggs harboring the protozoa onto the soil to be picked up by other chickens and turkey's. Infected cecal worm eggs can survive in soil for about 4 years. There isnt any soil treatment as far as I know. A worming program will eliminate cecal worms. As far as the treatment for the protozoa goes, metronidazole is recommended.

Back
Top Bottom