Turkeys For 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I need some help. I have 3 pair of adult turkeys plus 1 little soon to be Tom (poult). 2 of the adult toms fight. They are all paired up, so not sure why all the aggression. My question, do they mate for life? If I eliminate a Tom, will the hen go join the other's harem? The 3rd set aren't really old enough to get into brawling yet and little Tom, well...you know, no hormones yet. I was going to sell 1 pair but would really like to put them in the freezer. I see locally prices are $15.00 - 30.00 ea. Turkeys can be real food hogs even though they do free range some. Thanks, sue.
Turkeys do not breed with one mate for life. The Tom or jake is more interested in passing down genes to the next generation. That's why I always have more hens then toms in spring and summer. My largest Tom weighing in at 20.14 pounds has been around for 1 1/2 years and he breeds all five of my hens

So I want to try a new type of bird. What's best mixed with turkeys?Chickens,geese or ducks.... Or peafowl? And which one is easily earned up after?

Be sure to check with your extension office to see if blackhead is a problem where you live. I do keep chickens and turkeys together, until my turkey pen is completed. Peafowl are very similar to turkeys as babies, but I cant speak as far as the adults yet. My peas are only 5 weeks. I love my geese and ducks, but they are pretty messy. All my birds comingle at some point, while free ranging and get along very well. I only have issues with my 2 guinea cocks, I got them as adults. They can't free range with anything but the geese. They were not raised around other birds and attack anything around them. My gander
love.gif
Big Gee does not tolerate rooster attacks on me, or fights between other birds, and promptly pins the attacker. The geese are the alpha birds and even my RP tom won't challenge them.

Turkeys do not breed with one mate for life. The Tom or jake is more interested in passing down genes to the next generation. That's why I always have more hens then toms in spring and summer. My largest Tom weighing in at 20.14 pounds has been around for 1 1/2 years and he breeds all five of my hens

I hate to beat this to death but if I get rid of a tom, his mate won't miss him and will become attached to the remaining Tom. Right? I've convinced DH to butcher the one Tom this week end.

I hate to beat this to death but if I get rid of a tom, his mate won't miss him and will become attached to the remaining Tom. Right? I've convinced DH to butcher the one Tom this week end.
Well all of you're flock will be like... Woah where is tommy? And the will be all a little sad thy their confinement buddy is gone. Turkeys are very social and losing a bird is like losing a good friend. They will be bummed but they will get over it quickly.

Snapped a pict of my little chocolate turkey last night... is it me or is there too much white in the wing feathers?

Ok, I need some help. I have 3 pair of adult turkeys plus 1 little soon to be Tom (poult). 2 of the adult toms fight. They are all paired up, so not sure why all the aggression. My question, do they mate for life? If I eliminate a Tom, will the hen go join the other's harem? The 3rd set aren't really old enough to get into brawling yet and little Tom, well...you know, no hormones yet. I was going to sell 1 pair but would really like to put them in the freezer. I see locally prices are $15.00 - 30.00 ea. Turkeys can be real food hogs even though they do free range some. Thanks, sue.
food hogs? really? mine hardly eat anything! are you raising meat turkeys or heritage turkeys? my adult birds have a large fenced off grass area to peck around on, and my 3 three month olds free range for about an hour per day following the chickens around.

I live in Nova Scotia and prices of adult heritage turkeys are $20 to $30 each. $30 would be for a laying hen.
day old poults are $7 and price increases depending on age after that.

Snapped a pict of my little chocolate turkey last night... is it me or is there too much white in the wing feathers?

According to Porter's website, most chocolate turkeys have other unwanted genes present. So if you did not get your turkey from Porter, I would suspect that is the case since looking at his website photo of 8 week old poults, I don't see any white in them. That said, you might want to wait until the bird matures more and has final adult plumage before deciding. What are your plans for the turkey? If just for household pet or eggs, who cares. They are not in the APA SOP at present. But if you want an absolute pure chocolate, there should not be any white.

According to Porter's website, most chocolate turkeys have other unwanted genes present. So if you did not get your turkey from Porter, I would suspect that is the case since looking at his website photo of 8 week old poults, I don't see any white in them. That said, you might want to wait until the bird matures more and has final adult plumage before deciding. What are your plans for the turkey? If just for household pet or eggs, who cares. They are not in the APA SOP at present. But if you want an absolute pure chocolate, there should not be any white.
It looks like a mottled chocolate to me. These were the first bird I purchased and got em from porters. Gorgeous birds but not the greatest meat quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom