Turkeys for breeding...feed/food

Thanx for the input/info...............

How about adding cat food and additional calcium to a chicken breeder/layer feed.

I have added cat food to chicken layer pells to break the molt issue with some birds (brown leghorns). That added more protein.

I can get breeder pells, but it is 17% protein, more or less for chickens, but is stated ok for turkeys.....????

Unfortunately, here in Maine............................... limited choices/options

You have to go with what you have, cat food is good for extra protien we give it to our peafowl but try to limit it. I think it's not "natural" for them and once they get used to it and like it they won't eat as much regular feed. You can hardboil eggs and feed them back to the birds. Crush them shell and all and feed it to them.

Steve

If there is gamebird feed 28-30% available in your area mix it with layer crumble. If you mix it 1:1 you'll have about 22-23 % feed.

Hardboiled eggs with shells are good, be very carefull with cat and dog food.

Friend of mine raising over 80 peafowl fed cat food and some of them got poisoned and died from it.

Some brands of catfood contain an ingredient (I forgot the name) which is toxic to birds.

Purina has a gamebird starter called Startena that has 30% protein and their Flock Raiser is 20% so you could mix it to anything in between. Maybe that could be an option for you.

Hi - I have been raising Merriams Wild Turkeys for just over 4 years and I use Purina 18% Medicated for my poults and 16% Purina Pellets. I mix in very lightly some oyster grit and electrolytes in my feed from time to time. Thanks!

I checked a local supplier, they could get a 18% product from Blue seal, other than that, I can only get 16% layer. Only thing I found
is the starter products...
I guess I could mix that with a layer pellet and add calcium?

One big problem I have is, my turkeys will not eat mash/crumbles.

Back
Top Bottom