Turkeys laying eggs for first time.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Peepfreak59, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Peepfreak59

Peepfreak59 Out Of The Brooder

I have raised chickens for quite a while and am new to turkeys. These are just about 4 months old now, and really can't tell if they are male or female and dont' know when they will lay. I have searched online and found so many conflicting stories. Some say they only lay one and never again, so say they lay all the time except Winter, so thought this would be the best place for answers:fl. Thanks:cd

2. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

From my understanding, they will begin to lay the following spring from when they were hatched. and lay spring, some in summer and none in fall or winter.

3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:x 2 is my understanding as well. Mine are from this year so we'll see [​IMG]

4. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    While I think I have heard of them starting to lay the fall of their first year, next spring is more likely. If you can post some pics we can make guesses as to the sex. They usually lay a clutch before they start sitting, if they only laid one wild turkeys would be endangered. When you see a wild turkey hen with 10 or so babies with her, they are all hers. If you keep taking the eggs, she will keep laying for a bit longer. They will keep laying for several years, but not during the winter (unless you live in a warm climate, then you might get some when those of us up north won't).

5. megshenhut

megshenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    I have Blue Slates. They start laying in February and quit about now. Right now I'm only getting 1 egg about every third day. I have 5 hens.

6. Faith Hope

Faith Hope Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Illinois
    So is it possible for them to lay their first fall? I have a hen that is 20 weeks old. She is showing a lot of interest in the chicken nest boxes, but she is too big for them. I had heard they don't lay until the next spring.

7. megshenhut

megshenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    I suppose is it possible. All I know is that mine have never done that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by