Turkeys laying eggs for first time.

Peepfreak59

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
Mineral, VA/Clarkrange, TN
I have raised chickens for quite a while and am new to turkeys. These are just about 4 months old now, and really can't tell if they are male or female and dont' know when they will lay. I have searched online and found so many conflicting stories. Some say they only lay one and never again, so say they lay all the time except Winter, so thought this would be the best place for answers:fl. Thanks:cd

Quote:
x 2 is my understanding as well. Mine are from this year so we'll see
smile.png

While I think I have heard of them starting to lay the fall of their first year, next spring is more likely. If you can post some pics we can make guesses as to the sex. They usually lay a clutch before they start sitting, if they only laid one wild turkeys would be endangered. When you see a wild turkey hen with 10 or so babies with her, they are all hers. If you keep taking the eggs, she will keep laying for a bit longer. They will keep laying for several years, but not during the winter (unless you live in a warm climate, then you might get some when those of us up north won't).

So is it possible for them to lay their first fall? I have a hen that is 20 weeks old. She is showing a lot of interest in the chicken nest boxes, but she is too big for them. I had heard they don't lay until the next spring.

Back
Top Bottom