Turkeys not hatching, but when they do they all die☹️

LivWhite1025

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2019
Hello everyone! I have a problem and was wondering if anyone has had the same issue😬 So I have been hatching turkey eggs for the past few months now and have never gotten a good hatch rate or survival rate. Poults will make it all the way to hatch and then they will hatch on day like 25-26, and my temp is always steady at 99.5-100. Some will hatch completely normal and others will get stuck in the egg. The egg membrane keeps drying around them so fast there is nothing I can do. My humidity is always 75% if not higher, so I don't understand what keeps happening. Then when they hatch out some will make it, and others will just fall over and die. Everyone gets electrolytes to help their immune system, but nothing is helping. Plz help!!!

Your temperature had to be off, they should hatch on day 28. The parent birds should be fed a high protein feed so the yolk has enough nutrients to support the turkey poults. Your humidity should not be that high they are drowning.

Your temperature had to be off, they should hatch on day 28. The parent birds should be fed a high protein feed so the yolk has enough nutrients to support the turkey poults. Your humidity should not be that high they are drowning.

I don't understand that then because I have hatched 100% chicken eggs for the past few weeks.

Hello everyone! I have a problem and was wondering if anyone has had the same issue😬 So I have been hatching turkey eggs for the past few months now and have never gotten a good hatch rate or survival rate. Poults will make it all the way to hatch and then they will hatch on day like 25-26, and my temp is always steady at 99.5-100. Some will hatch completely normal and others will get stuck in the egg. The egg membrane keeps drying around them so fast there is nothing I can do. My humidity is always 75% if not higher, so I don't understand what keeps happening. Then when they hatch out some will make it, and others will just fall over and die. Everyone gets electrolytes to help their immune system, but nothing is helping. Plz help!!!
[/QUOTE

Your temp and humidity sound right. I had a problem with a few chicks the same way. Then I realized that the hatched ones were rolling the unhatched ones around-not good. Chickens, possibly Turkeys should PIP at "10 or 2" oclock position. That's how they prepare themselves to hatch. If they are rolled around, they may not get out. So now at the "non touch" time I put them in individual egg carton "positioners" so they don't roll around. And if I handle them I'm careful to keep the top position on top.

My last loss was a viable pipping Jersey Giant. I couldn't wait, then it never hatched. I noticed that the hatched ones were rolling the eggs around. And her pip ended up at underneath. And she died in the shell.

Your temp and humidity sound right. I had a problem with a few chicks the same way. Then I realized that the hatched ones were rolling the unhatched ones around-not good. Chickens, possibly Turkeys should PIP at "10 or 2" oclock position. That's how they prepare themselves to hatch. If they are rolled around, they may not get out. So now at the "non touch" time I put them in individual egg carton "positioners" so they don't roll around. And if I handle them I'm careful to keep the top position on top.

My last loss was a viable pipping Jersey Giant. I couldn't wait, then it never hatched. I noticed that the hatched ones were rolling the eggs around. And her pip ended up at underneath. And she died in the shell.

Back
Top Bottom