Turkeys..which breed do I want?

We just processed some Sweetgrass, Royal Palm and Beltsville White. The Beltsville dressed out nicer and had smaller bones and more meat than the other 2. For eating, I think beltsville would be better.

I'm right at the northern edge of the Tug Hill region. I have 3 Royal Palms that I raised this summer. They hang with the chickens and there have been no problems...as a matter of fact, they think that one of my Barred Rocks is their mother. I haven't had them in the winter yet... but they will live in the barn my chickens wintered over in last year. They free range and are very friendly. I originally was going to "use" them for the holidays, but they like me to play with them and honestly....how can you eat something that wants to play with you??????

zatsdeb wrote: my royal palm tom is so much larger than I thought he would be! I think he would dress out really nice! although he is not for eating, just for helping his mate with getting me some nice hatching eggs next spring!!!!
maybe because they eat well!?!?!
the last time I picked him up I would say he weighs at least 20 lbs! (that was about a month ago!)

O.K., your post made me curious, so I carried out the scale and picked up both the Slate and Royal toms: Screamer, the Royal: 15lb. Fearless Leader, the Slate: 31lb. They are both 3.5yr. old.

I'm wondering how much variation there is within breeds? We got our Royals from a Cackle Hatchery Breeder. He flies like eagle, but there's no excess muscle in his breast for `alternate' purposes
tongue.png

Brahampooter Good luck to you! The turks make great pets AND are all too tasty for their own good...​

Last edited:
I am sooooo craving turkey...perfect timing!

Although.. this year, store bought.. next year..FRESH!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
O.K., your post made me curious, so I carried out the scale and picked up both the Slate and Royal toms: Screamer, the Royal: 15lb. Fearless Leader, the Slate: 31lb. They are both 3.5yr. old.

I'm wondering how much variation there is within breeds? We got our Royals from a Cackle Hatchery Breeder. He flies like eagle, but there's no excess muscle in his breast for `alternate' purposes
tongue.png

Brahampooter Good luck to you! The turks make great pets AND are all too tasty for their own good...

I think my hen probably weighs half what the tom weighs, he is very large. I thought that royal palm were smaller, now the one that got blown out of the tree was alot smaller than the one that was left.
I will have to weight him to find out for sure. I have a brahma rooster named elvis that weighs about 12 lbs, I looked up the royal palm weights and they say they can weigh, toms, up to 22 lbs.

Quote:
Those that keep them with chickens, seen to loss alot.

I myself raise them on wire, and do not mixed them with chickens. This year had a 100% poults raised, lost NONE.

Quote:
Those that keep them with chickens, seen to loss alot.

I myself raise them on wire, and do not mixed them with chickens. This year had a 100% poults raised, lost NONE.

I do agree that people should decide for themselves to raise with or without chickens.
the ones I lost were sickly and smaller when they arrived, and were lost right off the bat. the others thrived quite well.
I would never tell anyone to raise them together or not raise them together. this is just what I do.

I have the royal palms,and bronze. The bronze have a more round breast than the palms when dressed out.

Think the royal palm are more for show.

Back
Top Bottom