Turkeys with Chickens and Ducks?

We have never had any issues. Once they graduate from a brooder, they should be fine. We always place a block or something in the wading pool so anything can stand and get out. I have seen folks use the wading pools with slides built in so birds can walk out. Our Brown Chinese Gander was a bit territorial at first, but the tom ignored the gander. Some books will tell you to raise all species separate, but folks have raised mixed species flocks together for centuries with no major issues.

i have chickens, ducks, turkeys, and geese in a 12x25 building for the winter. i blocked off an 8x12 section with a two foot wall so the turkeys and chickens could have their own area for waterer and lounging because the ducks and geese would not share the other waterers and make everything wet and sloppy.

My 2 turkey hens love being with the chickens and ducks. Ducks aren't to crazy about the chickens and turkeys but that's ok. They all have plenty of room to wander.

I have two reasons why I am going to advise you against doing so.

Number one is possible Blackhead disease transmission from chickens to turkeys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackhead_disease

Number
two is a reason from my own personal experience. We had 2 Broad Breasted turkeys that ran with the chickens. As far as temperment,etc, there were no problems at all. BUT, the turkeys ended up squooshing 3 of my hens in the coop at night. It was completely unintentional, I'm sure, but the massive weight of the turkeys crushed some of my young hens as they huddled together. Statistically speaking, at the time, the turkeys were deadlier than predators! So, I won't be doing that again.

:0)

Back
Top Bottom