turkeys with chickens???

Kim

Hatching
12 Years
Feb 4, 2007
All the books say that you shouldn't put turkeys with chickens, but a few people have told me that they have housed turkeys with chickens with no problems. I have a small flock of chickens for my family's eggs. I would like to raise a turkey for Thanksgiving. Has anyone mixed turkeys and chickens with success? with problems? Please share you experiences. Thank you.

Kim
[email protected]

You are not supposed to house them together, for fear of black head disease in your turkeys. I have 2 royal palms....and one little faverole hen is in with them. They have been together for several weeks now. No problems. I had to put her in with them because she is so shy, and all the other chickens would pick on her. Hopeing to get her moved soon tho. Hmmm, I dont know. So far, so good with mine...but they are in with ONE chicken...not several.

We have always had our turkeys with our chickens. But I can tell you that the turkeys usually nest outside in the pen while the chickens are in the coop at night. They eat together and the turkeys fly out of the pen during the day to free range all day. No problems at our house.

Hello! I have 1 turkey with my chickens.. I am still looking for more. I havent had any problems what so every. They all sleep in the same coop at night and free range during the day. The only problem I have had is with the turkey and guniea hen. They go at each other once in a while.

I also have had turkey's and chickens before this time and never had a problem.

You should be ok raising them together.

I have my turkeys with my chickens with no problems. Just like ncflowerpower my turkeys roosts outside on the top of the coop as my chickies are in the coop and they all eat and drink together. I have had them like this going on 12 weeks and have had no problems at all. In fact, I have befriended my turkeys (something they say can't be done). Infact, I loved having my turkeys with my second batch of babies... they babysat the young ones and still do. They all free range together and the only time my turkeys get violent is if a rooster attacks them first or if the big ones are picking on my little ones.

I have heard though that "toms" are aggressive when they become sexually active and can kill a chicken trying to mount it. I do not know if this is true, but for safty sake I keep a close eye on them... my turkeys will go if this happens.

Good Luck
Tes

Thank you for the replies. I got 2 little poults and they are so friendly. They talk alot, too. I am keeping them separate from the chickens for now, but I hope once they are feathered they can free range with the flock. I must say, they are stinkier than the chickens. My whole garage smelled in about an hour.

Back
Top Bottom