Turkeys with chickens.

I raised a tom with my chickens, free ranging during the day, sharing a coop at night. When he became mature, he stomped one of my chickens into the ground trying to breed her. She died. He was delicious.

Quote:
OMG Are you serious ???? That would be cool, it would probably look like a fuffled grouse or prairie chicken thing, a chicken, with a fanned tail, that would be so cool. I didn't think it would be possible either, but heck, why not if a guinea can mate with peafowl and chickens, and pheasants with chickens, why not turkeys and chickens ? Lord forbid if a duck and a chicken actually produced anything, that would be a XXXXXX up bird.

Oh and yeah, I've always had my chickens with my turkeys and never had any problems.

YEP!
He raelly had to convince me of it, thought he was crazy.
But then I told him the same thing, about the pea guinea, and stuff, so..... Oh I also told him a fan tailed chicken would be cool!! LOL
I'll see if I can find the pic from the e-mails and post it some how. Looks just like a chicken but he swears all he had was turkey eggs??

I have an eastern wild tom that was raised by one of my hens. He free ranges with the flock during the day and roost in one of the yard trees at night, always keeping an eye on the coop. He does challenge the head rooster, but mostly they just follow each other around the yard with the turkey all puffed out. My head rooster still mates with the ladies, the tom doesn't seem to get it because none of the chicken girls seem to pay attention to his displays (vs the roosters that run after & will tackle a hen if need be to mate). We have a large number of wild turkeys in our woods, but this tom seems to think he needs to be with the chickens. I think one of my chickens needs to hatch him out a few turkey hens (from turkey eggs, of course)!

Quote:
OMG Are you serious ???? That would be cool, it would probably look like a fuffled grouse or prairie chicken thing, a chicken, with a fanned tail, that would be so cool. I didn't think it would be possible either, but heck, why not if a guinea can mate with peafowl and chickens, and pheasants with chickens, why not turkeys and chickens ? Lord forbid if a duck and a chicken actually produced anything, that would be a XXXXXX up bird.

Oh and yeah, I've always had my chickens with my turkeys and never had any problems.

YEP!
He raelly had to convince me of it, thought he was crazy.
But then I told him the same thing, about the pea guinea, and stuff, so..... Oh I also told him a fan tailed chicken would be cool!! LOL
I'll see if I can find the pic from the e-mails and post it some how. Looks just like a chicken but he swears all he had was turkey eggs??

Yep see if you can get us some pics. LOL I may have to put one of my Speckled Sussex roos with these two extra royal palm hens I have not that U have separated them from the Bourbon Reds, he is the only rooster I have that would rather love on the turkey hens than his own it seems, but they run away from him. I have an extra Rhode Island Red rooster that has been living with the Bourbon Reds with no chicken hens of his own for months and he has never tried anything with them. HAHAHAHAHAHA

I hesitate replying to this post, since my experience with chickens is limited to the one week that I've had them
smile.png

I picked up my 2 one-year old turkeys a week ago, along with a couple of full grown chickens that were on the same farm as them. They were all free ranged together and got along fine. Since I've had them in my coop however, both of the chickens have been getting beat up. I had them all penned up together for the first couple of days and one chicken got its comb & wattles pretty well bloodied up. So I separated the chickens and the turkeys into different pens until yesterday when I began allowing them to free range on my property. Tonight I went out to lock them up and found that my other hen had gotten its comb and wattles beat up.

I wonder if it has to do with mating season or just the transition to a new home, since it sounds like most everyone else has had a good experience with the two of them together. But just thought I'd throw it out there to keep on eye on them.

can't happen sorry they won't cross,had lots of folks say its happened turkey/ chicken/duck/goose/peacock, but never the truth and never any proof!! then whats a turken!!! a chicken thats what tom!!!

never say never!
There a 40 page thread on here with a chicken guinea.
And my guy definately has 2 chicken turkeys.
I thought it wasnt possible either, BUT....
AND yes I know what a turken is

Quote:
True , there is that thread about Miracle the chickenen X Guinea cross.

Then on feather site under the hybrids section there are pics of Guuines X with Peafowl and Ringneck pheansants crossed with chickens, so if that's possible, then why not a turkey X Chickens.

And the chicken breed Turkens are not turkey X chickens, they are some ugly chicken breed that just has naked necks. Personally if I wanted a Turken, I'd just catch a buzzard, they are far more attractive anyway in my opinion

Back
Top Bottom