Turmeric .... Do you use it? ....

kathyinmo

Nothing In Moderation
12 Years
May 14, 2009
(SW MO) Nevada, Missouri
My Coop
My Coop
I am interested in buying some of these supplements for my chickens.

242e53dcd072d6091603765888120913.jpg

I started researching the ingredients:

Rendered Beef Fat, Corn, Oats, Peanuts, Flax Seed, Crustacean Meal, Cinnamon, De, Dehydrated Cranberries, Cranberry Seeds, Zeolite, Vitamin Supplement, Sodium Chloride, Turmeric, Fenugreek.

I never learned to cook with alot of spices .... just the basic salt and pepper with few others. So, I started researching the spices. Maybe you all already know this, but I didn't.....

turmeric.jpg

Turmeric is one of nature's most powerful healers. The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin. Tumeric has been used for over 2500 years in India, where it was most likely first used as a dye.

The medicinal properties of this spice have been slowly revealing themselves over the centuries. Long known for its anti-inflammatory properties, recent research has revealed that turmeric is a natural wonder, proving beneficial in the treatment of many different health conditions from cancer to Alzheimer's disease.

Here are 20 reasons to add turmeric to your diet:

1. It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.

2. When combined with cauliflower, it has shown to prevent prostate cancer and stop the growth of existing prostate cancer.

3. Prevented breast cancer from spreading to the lungs in mice.

4. May prevent melanoma and cause existing melanoma cells to commit suicide.

5. Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia.

6. Is a natural liver detoxifier.

7. May prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer's disease by removing amyloyd plaque buildup in the brain.

8. May prevent metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer.

9. It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.

10. Has shown promise in slowing the progression of multiple sclerosis in mice.

11. Is a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor.

12. May aid in fat metabolism and help in weight management.

13. Has long been used in Chinese medicine as a treatment for depression.

14. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.

15. Boosts the effects of chemo drug paclitaxel and reduces its side effects.

16. Promising studies are underway on the effects of turmeric on pancreatic cancer.

17. Studies are ongoing in the positive effects of turmeric on multiple myeloma.

18. Has been shown to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.

19. Speeds up wound healing and assists in remodeling of damaged skin.

20. May help in the treatment of psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.

Turmeric can be taken in powder or pill form. It is available in pill form in most health food stores, usually in 250-500mg capsules.

Once you start using turmeric on a regular basis, it's fun to find new ways to use it in recipes. My favorite way to use it is to add a pinch of it to egg salad. It adds a nice flavor and gives the egg salad a rich yellow hue.

Contraindications: Turmeric should not be used by people with gallstones or bile obstruction. Though turmeric is often used by pregnant women, it is important to consult with a doctor before doing so as turmeric can be a uterine stimulant.

I found a recipe for Turmeric tea .....

One way to reap the health benefits of turmeric is to drink turmeric tea. It's easy to make and tastes great with a little bit of lemon or honey.

Ingredients
4 cups water
1 tablespoon ground turmeric
lemon (optional)
honey (optional)

Directions
Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat and add ground turmeric. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Strain into a mug using a mesh strainer or cheesecloth.

Add honey and/or lemon to taste.

Thanks for the info... I've only used it in a Bread n Butter pickle recipe...
Never knew it was that good for you.
Melinda

When our old dog was failing in his health, we added tumeric and ginger to his diet. It seemed to help with his arthritis. Tumeric is good by itself but from what I understand, the combination with ginger is great for swelling, arthritis and similar type of issues.

Turmeric is also a good substitute for that expensive saffron to give a nice yellow color to foods. Flavor profile is different, so if the dish depends on the saffron for taste as well as color (like paella) you gotta use saffron, but if you just want a nice yellow color, turmeric is a great alternative. A pinch in rice makes a nice looking side dish.

Like turmeric

But, beware of health articles that are plagiarized all over the Internet. It's virtually impossible to track any source material for them. Could have been put up by anyone. Then, others have copied it time and time again. That one is plagiarized all over the place (as are so many others...)

Last edited:
Great list! All the more reason for making curry! Yum. Years ago my vet recommended turmeric capsules for for our old dog's arthritis. The capsules were an easy way to slip the spice in her food but I wish I had a camera ready the first time I gave one to her. I dipped the capsule in cream cheese and gave it to the dog, she swallowed it right down. 5 minutes later she gave a little cough. A cloud of yellow orange billowed out of the dog's mouth. Apparently the cream cheese was not enough to absorb the powder when the gel cap dissolved, The capsule needed to go in with more food. What a mess, turmeric is a fast working dye!

Back
Top Bottom