1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

turned cat litter box into nest box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chkinut, Dec 13, 2010.

1. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    well, yesterday i turned one of those big, deep cat litter boxes with a lid into a nest box for my girls. i set it up on a shelf-like-thing in their coop. i put a couple bricks in the bottom though, cuz i wanted it to be heavier so it wouldn't fall, don't know if i needed to do that, but i did. the 2 that are laying now LOVED it!!! i wish i had thought of this before i ordered a double X-large nest box from MPC. oh well, i'm sure i'll be happy with that too....but i could've saved some money. i don't even need the ordered nest box yet....but one day i will! i'm getting more chicks this spring...can't wait!

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I was thinking of getting one of those. Right now I use milk crates with straw,and a wicker laundry basket.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My plastic bin is screwed to the wood nest box it sits on. The litter box (from a past cat who wouldn't use it) is weighed down with 2 bricks as it's on the floor.

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I have a covered litter box in my grow-out pen for shelter for the youngsters. Now that they are getting bigger and I have let them out with the flock, I am getting two eggs a day in it. I caught my buff Brahma hen laying in it, but don't know yet who the other one is. I have also been checking Craigslist for dog houses to put around for added shelter and/or laying.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Cat boxes are ideal. I`ve always liked and used single nest boxes. I find that, in the event of a broody, just pick up the whole box, broody and all, and move her to a private pen for the remainder of her duties. No hassels with eggs being added, no danger to the chicks, or unwanted attention from the rooster. I use plywood nest boxes, but the cat box is ideally the same. You`ll like it...........Pop

6. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    I use wine crates. About the same size as a litter box I guess.

Filled with pine shavings, they prefer the wine crates over the nesting
    boxes I had custom built!

7. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    We have been using a covered cat litter box for months as well and our girls love it too!

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    All of my nestboxes are extra large, covered litter boxes. I do have a wire dog crate covered in opaque plastic in the juvenile coop for the meaties to use as a nestbox. Even the largest litter box is not big enough for them girls.

9. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Great idea!

Our nesting boxes are old wooden apple crates.

10. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    should i use pine shavings or hay? i've been using hay, but i wonder if they would love the pine shavings? BTW, isn't it cute when a hen is getting ready to lay, and she situates herself a billion times and also takes bits of hay and picks them up with her beak and puts them to her side or behind her? i just think they're so cute!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by