Turning a dirty white chicken to a clean white chicken, is it possible

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by delawaregirl09, Aug 31, 2009.

1. delawaregirl09

delawaregirl09 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have some Delawares that I am going to put in a local county show, or at least I want to. Here in Oklahoma, the dirt is red, so therefore when it rains, I have new red chickens. I tried giving them a bath with different soaps, but it just spread it around more. Is there anything out there that I can use to take the red off? I need help, or advise!!!

2. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

yes it is , i saw it in a mag this month on chickens only let me try and find it

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I use regular dog whitening shampoo that we have. Along with some Dawn dish soap in the bath water.

4. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    I was thinking my white Sultan was needing a bath too after he got dirty in the rain. [​IMG] I bet chickens are not thrilled with a bath!!! [​IMG]

5. delawaregirl09

Haha, alright, thanks guys. I tried just dawn, not a good idea>.< and some chickens dont like a bath, but they get used to it

6. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    Some farmers who raise sheep for the handspinning market take considerable pains to keep their sheep on clean grass at all times with no access to mud or dirt. To do so they have to rotate pasture very frequently.

I presume this would work on chickens as long as they were moved often enough to never scratch through to the dirt. Perhaps a dustbathing bin filled with "clean" dust that doesn't contain any red clay could be provided when they're on clean grass?

The coats they use for the sheep probably wouldn't be so useful since with sheep you only have to protect the back and sides while with show chickens its the entire animal. [​IMG]

7. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    There is a horse shampoo called white n brite that i use on everything. IT works great.

8. delawaregirl09

Thanks everyone! And I cant really move them around because all my materials went to building a large new pen, its mainly weeds, but it is predator proof, until night, then they go into a smaller predator proof night time pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by