Turning incubated eggs

mydanet

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2015
Hi All
I have searched in vain for an answer but I haven't found answer that I understand. I am in the process of making an incubator and I want to know what angle to tilt the eggs. Someone said 45º but is that 22 1/2º each way for total of 45º or 45º each way for a total tilt of 90º. Thanks in advance for any help.
John

Well if you are just laying them flat, a lot of us mark the egg with an x and o of each side and turn them every few hours or so.. some just mix the eggs up by hand making sure they get to different parts of the incubator to combat hot or cool spots... others lay them in an egg carton at first... if they have weird aircells and just flip them back and fourth for the first few days or so.... You gotta do what works for you.

The degree angle is not as important as the fact that the egg is turning back and forth to exercise the embryo. People who hand turn give them a complete flip each time. I think that my incubator turns them 45 degrees each time. I'm not 100% sure---I'd err on the side of too many degrees as opposed to too few. Good luck with your incubator build!

30 to 45 degrees each way so 60 to 90 degrees total. If you are planning to use trays remember to work out how to level the trays for loading and unloading.

Back
Top Bottom