turning litter and bedding into compost

KingJamesIV

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 5, 2011
Indiana Pa
So I had and Idea and I need some help to see if it is a good one.

We use the deep litter method for our coop. We have the Diatomaceous Earth in the coop. I know all of that poop is really great fertilizer but since it hasn't had time to compost it is really hot and can burn my plants. My thought was to mix ground limestone into the coop when we put new layers of pine chips in with it. I know that white lime would burn the chickens feet and they shouldn't eat it. But regular crushed limestone I would think would be ok. Anyone else have any thoughts on the mater? When I cleaned out the coup this fall it all went in the garden, but there weren't any plants there and I just threw white lime on to keep the sink down. That had the added bonus of neutralizing everything instantly, but I cant do that with my birds. A little help please.

Thanks
Jim

I'm new to raising chicks, so I've taken the time to read as much stuff as I can get my hands onto. As for composting chicken poop, your best bet is to use a compost bin or make one yourself, and place the poop inside. Over time it will break down naturally and be great to use the following year.

I also plan to use the deep method, again, from what I've read, is very efficient and with a small flock that we are planning, it can be changed as little as twice a year. Big bonus.

We also plan to use DE (food grade of course) in with the bedding. Just sprinkled about (from what I have been told) is all you need.

Since we compost kitchen scraps now, the poop should be no big deal. I think the only thing raw poop is good for is growing mushrooms?

When using DLM the bedding won't get into what most people would recognize as "compost" while its still in the coop, it will just break down alot. If your using DLM you can shovel out the coop ounce or twice a year and the bedding will cook down wikid fast. Using powdered lime in the coop won't harm the chickens unless you put a ton of it in, if you just sprinkle it into the shavings it should counteract the acidity and also keep the coop drier and better smelling. DLM works great because the shavings are already half composted when you pull them out, making the wait time for a usable product less, but when you first pull them out of the coop their probly still gonna be too "hot" to use directly.

Quote:
What does DLM stand for?
I know that DE is diotomaceous earth (food grade)
What type of powdered lime is safe to use?

I use the DLM (deep litter method) for my garden too. I like to keep 4 to 10 inches of mulch on the garden all year. In the spring I'll add all the sand and savings from the coop and rake, shovel, hoe all the mulch into a big mountain. In just a few weeks it will have broke down well enough to use. What I don't bury with my plantings, I'll spread over the bare soil. Then I'll start adding new material on top of that. I really don't like weeding so I just throw more mulch on top of anything I don't want to grow. If what I'm adding is too hot, I put it in the walkways and add straw or more sawdust. It is a lot of work, but it seems easy enough.

I've used coop litter for aisleways in my garden. The next year I till it all in or turn it onto the raised beds. Keeps weeds down all year as it mellows and fertilizes the following year. If I need to add lime or blood meal its to the decomposing litter. Now bunny poo is the best thing next to , well....this is a public forum. That can be put directly onto the garden and works wonders!! The years I had too much it also, went onto the aisles.

Quote:
You need Calcium Carbonate

What does the Calcium Carbonate do?

I would only use Crushed or Ground. It should be a light brown color. Not white lime. That could burn their little feet.

Back
Top Bottom