Turning off heatlamp in brooder during 11:00AM to 5:00PM is it ok?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by magicpigeon, Dec 30, 2010.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    It's the beginning of summer and I noticed my chicks were huddled as far away from the lamp as possible (I'm getting 30 degrees and above...in celsius, that is [​IMG]). I tried turning off the lamp today for a short amount of time (mid-afternoon til evening). The chicks didn't seem to mind and were happy eating and drinking in the dim light of my garage. The chicks are 1.5 weeks old and 4.5. The brooder is big enough for the difference in heating requirements but I find they like to stay together in the "middle ground" [​IMG] I'm hoping this won't damage their growth or anything?

2. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    when i throw the birdies outside (brooder) I use a secured drop light with a 100W to start (adjust wattage based on what temps it throws) then every week I drop the wattage 100>75>60>45 etc
    When I get down to average day time temps matching what the bulb heats at night I turn off the light during day (one of those 24hr timers) and heat only at night. then reduce time by a 1hr every few days. Just watch for piling (when they pile on top of each other or bury themselves under a pile to get warm) or panting with open wings (over heated).

You should be fine with having lights off during day [​IMG]

I'm guessing your a aussie [​IMG]

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Yeah, how did you guess? I used google to change 90 degrees fahrenheit to celsius and it's virtually the same to the temperature here now! I'm wondering if the chooks in the tropics even NEED to sit on their eggs...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by