Turtle help

McCord6

Away
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
Lake Butler (Union County)
My slider turtle, Ratty, refuses to eat his turtle pellets all week and Im not sure what to do. His feed never changed, I baught like 10 containers of turtle pellets when I first got him and still going on that (yes they are still good, date isn't expired until 2012). But this week he refuses to eat. I even tried giving him the gold fish pellets, which I do give him from time to time along with his own pellets (I was told by a slider breeder that it was okay to do, add nutrients). His tank is all cleaned out, pebbles and rocks are the way he likes it, elevated so he has swimming area and resting area.

Any suggestions on what I can do to try to get him to eat? I know turtles can last a LLLLOOONNNGG time without food and really dont need to be fed as often as other animals do. I do put a few pellets in his tank everyday though but they are not being touched (I always put the pellets right above him while he is in the water).

He is a little bigger then the palm of my hand and should be at least 5 years old (my calculation from how long my friend had him first and knowing someone else had him before her who had him when he first hatched, so Im 3rd owner as a fact).

I don't know why he wouldn't eat his pellets. I have never had that problem with my slider. You can try giving him live feed, such as fishing worms, minnows or feeder fish. We have always supplemented our slider with live feed. Also we put in turtle condentioner in our tank. HTH.

Quote:
Did you use bleach again? Did you do it like you did the goldfish, where they all died?

Quote:
Did you use bleach again? Did you do it like you did the goldfish, where they all died?

smack.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Quote:
probably what it is. I have a reptile heat pad under the tank to keep the tank warm, which is exactly how my friend did it when she gave him to me.

Thats a pretty big fire hazard. It states on the packages of under tank heat pads not to use with a tank of water, it can crack the glass or make the pad short out.

All turtles need a over head heat source over their land area so they can digest their food. A separate UVB bulb helps them synthesize Vitamin D3 so they can absorb calcium. Otherwise they get metabolic bone disease and soft shell.
http://austinsturtlepage.com/
http://redearslider.com/

I have a painted turtle and a red ear slider. They have a submersible Marineland Visi-Stealth heater. Its unbreakable and turns off when out of the water. They also have a basking light over their turtle ramp and a Reptisun 10.0 bulb aswell.

OH, that's new. When my friend gave him to me, that was what she was doing with it for several years so I didn't take notice of that.
Now Im mad. Wrong instructions were given to me when I got him (only had him for a year) and now I don't even think he is a slider! He looks like one but he doesn't have the red marking on the side of the head. Back to researching... *grumbling* Im just having a really bad day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom