Turtles????

Oddyse

Songster
8 Years
May 21, 2011
Bristol
Hey guys, I was cleaning out the loft today and found a fish tank, I have filled it with water to see if it is water tight and it still works fine. Im wanting to get a turtle (or tortoise or whatever its called) to live in there. Does anyone know of any little turtles that I could get for my tank? Many thanks guys

Do you have painted turtles in the UK? They stay pretty small. I had an aquatic turtle once. It was a huge pain in the butt (or should I say bum?
tongue.png
) If I had it to do over again, I would get a land dwelling turtle like a box turtle or a russian tortoise. They are just as cute and cleaning up after a land turtle would be way easier than a fish tank. They need LOTS of room and filthy up the water really quickly. My turtle was 3 inches across in a 30 gallon tank with 3 filters and it was still disgusting!

Quote:
Male turtles stay smaller. A female painted can get the size of a small dinner plate!
A tip for keeping water turtles tanks clean - feed them in a dishtub or the bathtub. They poo as soon as they eat (the new pushes out the old), and you can just dump that out. Saves a TON of work.

What size is the tank?

Land turtles are easier to clean up after, but they can be harder to care for overall, with special heat and humidity and dietary needs. oh, and space. Most people dont give them near enough room. I had two box turtles in a 2x3 pen and that was pushing it. I let them loose in my room a lot to wander.

If you are going to keep an aquatic turtle, make sure it's a smaller variety. Turtles grow from those cute 1" hatchlings to 4" juveniles in a single summer! I have a mated pair of Florida Red Belly turtles that are 10 years old. they live in a highly filtered outdoor pond. They lay eggs evey year and the babies grow FAST!! My daughter put two hatchlings in a 30 gallon tank in April and they are at least 4" across now. Keeping the tank clean is a nightmare. She will be building them an outside pond soon. If you want to keep a turtle inside, you will need proper lighting and heat for them. Here's a very helpful forum for you..... http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upload/index.php?s=21a229fd471e3c6b0842157243b3f136&act=idx

I guess I should've been clear. In my opinion, a small dinner plate is relatively small for a turtle. There are many species that get way bigger than that. I never had any luck taking mine out to feed it. I couldn't catch it easily enough to make it worth my while.
tongue.png

Quote:
haha! Thats HUGE to most people! I used to manage an aquarium/reptile store and people do think they can get turtles that stay smaller than the palm of your hand!

catching them isnt too hard. Keep the tank furnishings simple for less hiding places (also more sanitary), and train them to come to you. You just drop food in there (just one or two pieces) at the same spot every day for a few days and they will start swimming over there to greet you.

What about keeping turtles with ducks? Will one hurt the other? I guess over time if I just put them together for a few hours aday they will be fine, right?
idunno.gif

Quote:
Turtles bite things. Its what they do. If they see duck foot under the water, they may taste it. If you have a larger pond, and smaller turtles, you may be fine, but you may get duckies with nipped feet. They wont learn to get along.

Musk turtles usually stay pretty small. My turtles are in an outside pond but when they see me coming, they swim right over to me and wait for their food. I feed them turtle food, koi food, many leafy garden weeds and I also grow water lilies for them in a separate pond and feed them the leaves. My female is about 12" and the male is smaller at around 10". Many times you can't keep two turtles together because they might fight, but these two have been together for 10 years and really do hang out together. When they hibernate in the winter, they stack up in the bottom of the pond.

Quote:
that depends on the turtle. Some turtles are omnivores or carnivores and will bite ducks and fish. Other turtles (like my red bellies) are herbivore (once they are juveniles or beyond) and won't bite fish or turtles. I have koi in with my turtles.

Back
Top Bottom