Tuxedo Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BulmanFarms, Dec 15, 2013.

1. BulmanFarms

BulmanFarms New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    Probably an obvious question, but I am new to the world of quail. How do you guys get tuxedo quail? I understand it is a cross breed of two birds but which two? Also I really want the red Tuxedos over the darker brown ones. Thanks guys!

P.S. Are tuxedos the same as a coturnix quail as far as meat production and and egg laying?

Thanks guys!

2. QuailRaiser

QuailRaiser Chillin' With My Peeps

they are good dual purpose birds and generally you get them by crossing an A&M (White) and the colour of your choice (Pharaoh, Golden, British Range, Fawn, etc...)

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Tuxedos can be bred to carry almost as much weight as the larger coturnix and some of my tuxedos put out my largest eggs (of course egg size is a genetic trait that you can breed for (either smaller or larger))

If your selling quail they also tend to have a good market people really seem to like that color.

Here are a couple different tux color varieties and after work I'll put up a picture of yet another.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. QuailRaiser

I tried breeding for a tiebetan tux, but it was always white or brown. do you have a hatch %?

5. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

I get tibetan tuxs' out of my tibetan tux lol. The rosettas sometimes put out chicks that are tibetan looking but have pattern inconsistencies. Honestly all of my tuxedo birds come from two 1:3 breeding cages. I don't really pay attention to my ratio on those because I sell or eat them all lol. The only ones I select and put back into my flock are the goldens/pharaohs.

6. QuailRaiser

ok i will try again in the spring

7. Paigey

Paigey Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2014
    How tall do they grow?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by