TV reporter in Vancouver BC interested in Urban Chicken movement!

HeatherHillary

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Portland OR
Yay! A stroke of luck! I have been trying to get Chickens legalized in the city of Surrey BC and in all cities in the Vancouver BC Metro Area, and check out the email that I got today:

"We are looking to do a news story on the “Urban Chicken” Movement here in Vancouver (or the surrounding areas). Do you have any information or do you have chickens yourself?"
Christine Tam
CTV British Columbia | Newsroom
W: 604-609-5800 | C: 604-719-4568

I just talked with her on the phone, and our outlaw chickens might be about to get their 30 seconds of fame!

Anyone here in the Vancouver BC Metro Area, or Canada, that would like to get involved?

Heather

Very cool!
I live in the US in a town where they are not allowed. I hope you get lots of positive responses.
fl.gif

I think there are lots of people out there in Greater Vancouver area would love to keep a couple hens in their backyard. I live in South Surrey and would love to be able to do that. As far as I know, chickens are only allowed on properties that are over 1 acres. But who says that we can't keep chickens or ducks as house pets just like dogs and cats? I would love to see this by-law changed. Way to go Heather!
smile.png

Sonia

How exciting, another backyard chicken enthusiast in Surrey, BC!

Would you like to join our fight to legalize them here? I have already written to the Mayor and City Council asking them to alter the bylaw (which already allows them on City lots that are at least an acre), allowing small flocks on all city lots. I am hesitating to pursue it further with the city officials, though, until after the municipal elections in a couple of weeks, because I figure they won't make any decisions until then, and the officials that we need to appeal to might actually change.

So great to hear from you!

Heather

Hi
I am interested in getting involved with getting a by law put in place to allow chickens in your backyard in Vancouver. I live in the Commercial Drive area and would love to get together with anyone who in interested in aiding along such a by law.
I don't have any chickens in the yard but would love to have some this summer.
Since there is a civic election coming soon, I guess now would be a great time to start writing some letters and making some noise!!

Excellent!
I'm not sure if it it was a good idea, but I've been waiting until after the election to continue my fight, because the people we need to appeal may change, and I'm guessing that the Mayors and City Councils won't do anything until after the elections. I'm new to Canada, though, I could be wrong. I plan to start stalking the Mayor and Councillors of Surrey right after the election (to get the bylaws changed). I'll email you with my contact info, and that of another Chicken group working to legalize chickens in Vancouver.
FYI, Urban and Sustainable Agriculture are the buzz right now with BC municipalities and local governments, those concepts have been basically mandated by BC Gov't, and we can really use that in our fight to allow chickens into our neighborhoods. All local officials have been hearing about that, so they will understand why you are linking the two related issues together.

Thanks again for your support, email you asap.

Go Chickens!

Keep at it Hilary, don't wait. But keep a copy of everything. If your council changes, forward the material to the new guy - don't expect the administration to do it!

We had problems with our corner and had started things with the Ministry of Transport and through election people changed. I contacted the new person, got them up to speed and in the end we got what we needed.

I'm near Duncan on Vancouver Island and they are in the process of drafting a bylaw to allow up to 10 HENS per lot for personal use...I think it was 10. Even 4 could do a family well. Keep the Roo's out and it should be fine.

Call City of Duncan and see if they've passed it yet. If you can show your municipality how many others have done or are doing it - all the better for your argument!

Good luck!!!

I would like to help but I'm not good at writing letters...
sad.png

I would sign your petition if you have one.

With the recent food scares involving Canadian and overseas food producers, I'm really fed up by the way that our food supply has became business and profit driven. Big companies take over the whole market leaving consumers with little or no choices. Having access to safe food source is basic human rights and no place is safer than our own backyards (we are responsible for ourselves sort of speak). I know nothing about growing vegetables and raising chickens but I will do everything to learn and hopefully to help others to do the same (in the future) in my community. And I certainly hope that I can teach my six-year-old daughter to appreciate food (and everything else in life) more. To her, money comes from ATM and food comes from boxes. I want her to get in touch with nature, feel the energy of the earth and enjoy the fruit of hard labour. I want her to know that there are a lot of hard working people behind everything we use and all the food we eat. I'm not only doing this for myself, but also for my future generations. I want to make a difference for them.

Last edited:
I would sign a petition as well. Certainly keeping urban chickens should be allowed. In the UK, there has been a great increase in urban chicken keepers since the Eglu from the Omlet Company was developed. Once city officials can see an option which demonstrates that a couple of hens can be kept in a secure, hygenic, and aesthetically pleasing way, then it should at least open doors for discussion.

Back
Top Bottom