Tweeking the carton hatch method.

rebelcowboysnb

Confederate Money Farm
11 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Independent State of Dade NWGa
I have never been a fan of the carton hatch method but I do like the idea of the eggs not being kicked around. I started use egg cartons in my incubator but with them propped up at about a 45* angle. It was so the web cam had a good view but joebryant pointed out to me that I had solved some of the issues with the carton hatch method. The eggs are not being kicked around, the chicks can get out easy, they cant stand on the other eggs an the big thing for me is the egg is still in a natural position which I think helps the chick pip the air sack an breath while it is finishing hatching.

Any thoughts or opinions on hatching in tilted cartons? You can click on my webcam to see it in mine. I think you could cut the cartons in to strips an still do it in small foam incubators too.

Quote:
Hi,
I'm confused about "propped up at about a 45* angle" and " egg is still in a natural position" ... isn't horizontal the natural position?
Thanks,
Joe

I have a turner in my incubator which I will turn off on day 18. Sounds like a good idea to put the eggs into a carton at that point. Is that what everyone does? (This is my 1st incubator hatch.)

Maybe I should have said "more" natural position.
big_smile.png
Anyway, I think its better than standing them strait up.

Back
Top Bottom