"TWEEN" PULLETS

KEarthman

Songster
Oct 27, 2020
Do you prefer to go ahead and put 14 week old pullets in with their breed of rooster and grown hens and put the hens on grower pellets or chick food with them, with calcium optional, until they start laying? Or do you prefer to wait until the pullets are old enough to start laying? We have 3 different breeds separated into 3 different pens. All of the "Tweens" are in a 4th pen together. Have done it but ways, but can't decide which we prefer. Thank you!

I personally add the pullets with the hens and rooster, and feed grower pellets with calcium on the side. However, I don't think roosters should be fed layer feed.

I integrate early (around 4 weeks), so... neither? I feed the flock whatever the chicks are eating until the chicks are actively laying, then I swap back over to my usual feed routine.

I integrate early (around 4 weeks), so... neither? I feed the flock whatever the chicks are eating until the chicks are actively laying, then I swap back over to my usual feed routine.
I integrate fairly early, too, but not as early as 4 weeks (mostly because it's too cold, though I start introducing them around that time) I usually do it around 6 weeks.

I have 7 one year old hens. (down from 10) I would like to get 10-15 more. I have plenty of room in the coop and run but don't know when I should put the young ones in. Should I have another coop for them until they are laying? Suggestions?

For the typical backyard owner, of the typical backyard flock, with typical backyard management practices,i recommend all flock/flock raiser crumble for all the birds, all their lives, with free chocie grit and osyter shell, each in seperate dishes.

As to integration? I personally brooder box to 2 or 3 weeks, with some time outside on good days in a temporary pen. Then they are transfered to the grow out area, about 45 sq ft inside the barn, plus an attached run (which just got smaller, is about 180-200 sq ft now, to make room for the rabbit pens). That's where my birds stay till about 8 weeks, when they are moved to the adult flock, who have their own houses, large run, and the whole of the pasture.

Back
Top Bottom