Tweety is not tweeting - HELP

Hi Wyorp -
Can you post some photos of her?
-- Yep, I have a couple from yesterday.

Where are you located in the world (Maybe Idaho?)LOL
-- I'm currently in Northern California, near Brentwood, CA 94513

Black spots on the comb - is she being picked at?
-- Not being picked at

How much ventilation is in your coop?
-- good ventilation

I know you've looked inside the beak, but can you check again for any lesions or yellow/white crusty/cheesy spots that might be canker?
-- I'll look tomorrow morning and report back

Is her crop completely empty in the morning before she eats/drinks? Any sour smell to her breath?
-- I've tried to feel around for it, but I'm not sure I am in the correct area.
-- haven't noticed sour smell, but I will pay close attention when I am looking for any canker evidence.

Any swelling, bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen?
-- no, she feels same as usual, before this started.

Have you added any birds to your flock in the last 30 days?
-- no new birds. These 4 girls all came home together in March 2018

Extending the neck with wheezing could be respiratory disease. Molds/mildew, excess ammonia and poor ventilation can also cause respiratory symptoms.
-- We did get a lot of rain here a few weeks ago, but the interior of the coop is dry far as I can tell. I am planning to install another door for cleaning purposes and to reach eggs. At that time I may open up a few vents up high where rain cannot get into them.

If vet care is possible, then take her in. A lot of times we have to try to treat ourselves, so you could try antibiotics to see if that makes a difference. Tylosin can be ordered online - it will treat bacterial problems like Mycoplasma.

-- Vet care is 'available', but not sure if we can afford it - I will call them tomorrow, they are one town over from us.

Last edited:
tweety-20191231_161757.jpg
tweety-20191231_161859.jpg

Dear fellow BYC'ers - this morning Tweety left us for eternal bliss in the 'heavenly' coop. 😢

We were unable to determine exactly what was wrong with her, but she continued to lay regularly, eating normally, all behaviors were normal.

I am very sad to see her leave the coop and it feels a little lop-sided without her.

I would like to thank 21hens-incharge, Wyorp Rock, TwoCrows, and coach723 for their help, thoughtful ideas, guidance and suggestions.

I love that there is a community of fellow chicken aficionados who are so helpful, caring and knowledgeable.

Thank you all!!

Dear fellow BYC'ers - this morning Tweety left us for eternal bliss in the 'heavenly' coop. 😢

We were unable to determine exactly what was wrong with her, but she continued to lay regularly, eating normally, all behaviors were normal.

I am very sad to see her leave the coop and it feels a little lop-sided without her.

I would like to thank 21hens-incharge, Wyorp Rock, TwoCrows, and coach723 for their help, thoughtful ideas, guidance and suggestions.

I love that there is a community of fellow chicken aficionados who are so helpful, caring and knowledgeable.

Thank you all!!
I'm very sorry to hear about Tweety :hugs

Back
Top Bottom