Twin Chicks Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by birdluver, Jun 24, 2010.

1. birdluver

birdluver Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    Last night I candled my seven day old chicken eggs. In one something was off and upon closer observation I descovered there was two independent babies! I researched and found out they both can hatch but it would be difficult. Is there anything I can do to boost there chances? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I didn't even know the egg was a double yolker. . . I'm so scared I am going to kill them.

2. chichi56788

chichi56788 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    Im pretty sure there's a video on youtube on how to get them out. I saw it a couple weeks ago.

eta: here is the link

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  3. birdluver

birdluver Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    I candled them again and the babies are growing nicely. One is alot more active than the other but the other one still moves a ton. Will the less active one die? If it does will the twin survive or will it also die. And for future reference how can you tell a double yolker before incubation? I just don't think i can go through the stress of another set of twins:D

4. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    I was absolutely 100% certain I had a twin egg last batch, and it only had one massive chick. I thought it from early on, too.

5. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Quote:There have been a few cases where both chicks survive. Sometimes only 1 will make it to the end. They will have to be help out. 1 chick most likely won't be able to get air from air sac, so both ends with have to be pipped for them when the time comes. Usually a double yolker comes in a bigger egg than normal. I know when I candle a white egg I can see 1 or 2 yolks. Brown and green eggs are a bit harder. Good luck to you. Keep good documentation of what is happening.

6. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    Best quote ever from the vid "BYC is over there...my friends..." [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by