Twin Ducks - 2 ducklings in one egg

Duckyy

Chirping
May 18, 2020
Hi guys,

5th time hatching duck eggs, but first time we’ve ever had two in one egg so a bit unsure how to proceed.
Currently on day 20 and a good bit of movement when I candle.
I’ll attach some pictures below, but does anyone have any advice on what to do if they make it to day 28? Most of my hatches have started day 28 and they’re out within 48/72 hours.
What will they do for air? Should I stop turning sooner than the rest of the eggs?
Any advice is appreciated!
2A64B602-36E3-44E8-BCBB-D62A709364BA.jpeg

Attachments

• 822E8E7A-8529-4F60-8F81-AB475420A08F.png
    822E8E7A-8529-4F60-8F81-AB475420A08F.png
    1 MB · Views: 15
Hi guys,

5th time hatching duck eggs, but first time we’ve ever had two in one egg so a bit unsure how to proceed.
Currently on day 20 and a good bit of movement when I candle.
I’ll attach some pictures below, but does anyone have any advice on what to do if they make it to day 28? Most of my hatches have started day 28 and they’re out within 48/72 hours.
What will they do for air? Should I stop turning sooner than the rest of the eggs?
Any advice is appreciated!
View attachment 3572858
The chances of both or even just one making it are pretty much zero, sadly. There's things you can do to try though, since they've made it this far.
I've never done anything with twins, I try hard not to ever incubate double yolkers. However, I've hatched a lot of eggs, so I know how things work.

If it were mine, I'd put it in a separate incubator, stop turning a few days early (really you could stop any time now), start running the separate incubator dry, around 30% humidity. That will cause the air cell to get a bit excessively big and hopefully give them enough oxygen to absorb the yolk(s). It will also make it a bit more cramped in there but I think the extra air would outweigh that. There's always the possibility that one will start to absorb the other while absorbing the yolk though, which would probably kill both of them. There's nothing you can do to prevent that. During the last few days, day 25+, candle roughly every hour or so if possible, but without turning the egg or picking it up. Make sure there's still movement, watch for internal pips or sluggish/weak movement, and watch close for any bruising on the shell. If you see bruising that's one trying to pip and failing, so you can very carefully make a tiny hole with a pin in the center of the bruise to let in air. Tiny is best, air will still get in and you'll hopefully not hit any veins. Once they get to where they're starting to hatch, leave humidity low in the 30s until one externally pips or you make a hole. Then I'd get it to 65% and not let it go any higher. You run the risk of drowning whichever one gets squished in the bottom if it's too high.
For now just keep turning until day 23 or so and if you have a separate incubator absolutely set that up.

If I think of anything else I'll make a new post. Do you have a calibrated thermometer and salt tested hygrometer in your incubator to verify that temp and humidity are accurate?

These are all duck egg bruises, for reference. (Not my pics)
3307494-86169ae31e9cb1ed5c32b3c7d006d0a6.jpg
hredirect2.jpeg-2.jpg
2902647-1257a6927a0e4e16e4bc9a98d859b5ae.jpg

Watch very close for one of these when they get close, if you see one make a tiny hole in the center and then put it back. Keep an eye on it then, usually if they pip in the wrong spot (anywhere besides the fat end) they take at least 48 hours to finish absorbing yolk. You'd be essentially making an artificial pip.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom