Twin embryo's in carolina wood duck eggs

duckingmad

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Andover
Hi all, i'm new to this forum but have made a devastating discovery a few days ago... whilst candling my duck eggs i have discovered twin embryos at day 7, i am so worried does this mean my babies are on a death sentance?? I really dont know what to do? I have been candling a bit more now and they are growing well at day 10 (heartbeats, eyes etc) I have compared them to another egg with a single embryo and the are identical just half the size.... should i carry on with the incubation??? any help and advice would be greatly appreciated from a very worried mum :hit :barnie

they don't tend to survive

as one chick (duckling) zipping will hindrance the other and they will most prob die in shell

its been done before but they where helped out of shell and by an experienced hatcher

on their own its a death sentence

here is youtube video

Thank you for your reply and video... it was amazing to watch but also very frightening, I have only been hatching for just over a year... I have come across a couple of problems but have never had to help out to that extreme! Still very confused and worried about the whole situation! I suppose there is only a slim chance they will even make it to that stage.... :( such a worrying time!!!

Thank you for your reply and video... it was amazing to watch but also very frightening, I have only been hatching for just over a year... I have come across a couple of problems but have never had to help out to that extreme! Still very confused and worried about the whole situation! I suppose there is only a slim chance they will even make it to that stage....
sad.png
such a worrying time!!!

your welcome and good luck for what its worth

Good luck! I think you should put that egg in another incubator.
I have read that twin eggs tend to need more humidity because
There are two of them in one egg. I've also read that only 1/2 of
1% of all the waterfowl in the world will produce a twin egg. You've
Got a rarity!

Interesting - I have had 3 eggs with twins just in the last month!?!
I am new at this, so i thought maybe it was normal.
Guessing they are the swan eggs as they are quite big, but it could
be my pekin as she is a big girl
smile.png

Not trying to hatch anything at this time.

Back
Top Bottom