Twins? Maybe?

MargaretYakoda

Songster
7 Years
Jan 28, 2013
Irondale, Wa
I have my incubator going. We're on day ten. Last night I candled and I think I saw two embryos moving. I marked the egg with "Twins?" so I'll be able to track it.

Two things, though... the egg is one of the smaller eggs in the hatch. These are Jersey Giant eggs, so they're mostly pretty large, but one of hens is a cross between an orpington and a brahma bantam. This might be her egg, and the rooster is a Jersey Giant. So the chicks are likely to be on the large size.

The other thing is that the moving blobs in the egg appear to be on opposite sides of the egg. And the egg seems way too small for it to hold two full size yolks. Is it even possible for there to be two embryos on one yolk? If so, how would yolk absorption work? Would the chicks be at a higher risk for open navels and infection?

And, I should be clear. I THOUGHT I saw two embryos. I could be wrong. It has happened once before ;)

Last edited:
Type 'hatching double yolkers' in the search bar at the top of the page. Several threads will appear. It can be done, but generally there are problems with viability/hatchability.

Type 'hatching double yolkers' in the search bar at the top of the page. Several threads will appear. It can be done, but generally there are problems with viability/hatchability.
IF they make it that far I will be ready to assist a double hatch for sure!
For one thing, if it is two embryos with one yolk, I'll be looking at two open navels. That will require sterility, and vetericyn, and little vetwrap jumpers. They'll also need extra electrolytes and nutrition for the first few days.

Back
Top Bottom