TWINS?????

Jbethlasanta

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2015
Do any of you have any experience hatching twins? I have just candled my peking duck eggs, 9 Days in, and I was very surprised to see, not one, but TWO jumping embryos. I am not sure what, if ANYTHING, I need to do to make sure these guys hatch. Do they hatch earlier? Later?

I'm on my second batch attempt at hatching now. My first one was a complete failure. However, I have to say, I did EVERYTHING wrong! I used a permanent marker, I didn't rotate my eggs prior to incubating, MOST were greater than 15 days old, I didn't know my still air incubator was at the wrong temperature, and they were washed with soap and water and yeah, I'm not surprised.

This is what makes me so nervous. I'm so new at all of this, and my kids are so excited, I'm so afraid of screwing something up.

I'm on my second batch attempt at hatching now. My first one was a complete failure. However, I have to say, I did EVERYTHING wrong! I used a permanent marker, I didn't rotate my eggs prior to incubating, MOST were greater than 15 days old, I didn't know my still air incubator was at the wrong temperature, and they were washed with soap and water and yeah, I'm not surprised.

This is what makes me so nervous. I'm so new at all of this, and my kids are so excited, I'm so afraid of screwing something up.
First Marker DOES NOT AFFECT the Eggs.

Rotating well that's not good..

15 days Old as long as they were stored correctly and rotated they would still hatch.

still air should be 101-102
SOAP AND WATER, OUCH. that will definitely Do the trick... Oh boy...

I am not seeing twins, tell me is both Spots moving at the Same time OR does one spot move then kind of disappears then the second spot appears and they go back and forth. First spot, then second.. ETC? OR do you see both spots at the same time and then they both disappear and then both spots appear again etc..?

And I'm talking as far as seeing them moving in the egg...

Welcome to BYC!

If they are twins I doubt there is anything one can do. FWIW, I've never seen a twin in anything that's hatched here, and there have been many!

-Kathy

Last edited:
I'll try to get a better pcture next time I candle them, but the other eggs have one jumpy little embryo, and this one has two, separately jumping little ones. Three of us were looking when we saw them each move, they all got excited.

Back
Top Bottom