Twitchy wings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ardizzone7, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Ardizzone7

Ardizzone7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    I have a female Cayuga that has been the object of affection for the past 2 weeks from our drakes. She is there favorite. The past couple days I have seen her standing still as if resting but constantly twitching her wings. Her feathers are a little messed up from all the lovin' but is there something wrong? I have not seen this happen before.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If you have two drakes and one duck, I would separate her and give her a break. Her life may depend on it. Sounds melodramatic, but drakes can hurt and sometimes they kill a duck. A better ratio would be three ducks to each drake. Don't underestimate the risk for her. She is depending on you to protect her.

3. Ardizzone7

Ardizzone7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    Thank you. I was afraid they were hurting her. We have 3 drakes and 3 hens but I know that is too many drakes. I plan on culling at least 1 for meat. I will see if I can find a way to separate her. Right now they are open range with no fencing. Thank you!

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks for checking in. As you know, caring for critters is messy and imperfect. Thanks for caring enough to protect her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by