Two abnormal eggs - should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amysflock, Jun 13, 2008.

1. amysflock

amysflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Tenino, WA
    This week I got two eggs that were unusual...one Easter Egger egg (green) had a cloudy egg white (didn't smell bad or anything, just not clear like normal), and last night I collected a brown egg from one of my other girls that had some dried blood on the shell.

I checked in my Chicken Health Handbook and a bit on the net today, but don't see anything about cloudy whites.

I can see where maybe an injury or something could cause a bit of blood to appear on a shell...do I need to worry about this?

Thanks for any info you all have!

2. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    It is normal for a fresh egg to have a cloudy white due to dissolved carbon dioxide. It will clear as the egg ages, so don't worry about that. I don't know anything about blood on eggs, but I understand that it does happen with young birds starting to lay.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    A cloudy white is a sign of a very fresh egg. It is carbon dioxide trapped in the egg that hasn't had a chance to escape through the shell as a gas exchange. You can't get better eggs!

Blood on a shell - well - it is from passing that large egg through a small opening. It happens. If you notice it reguarly or it gets worse turn up some hen bottoms and see if there is a problem developing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by