Two air cells

SavvyKalash

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2022
I could really use some advice. I'm on day 25 of incubating call duck eggs. I candled one last time before lockdown and I saw several weird eggs.

For example, this one has a normal looking air cell and then at the bottom there is a large empty space, almost like another air cell?! It looks like an internal pip, too... but at the wrong end. There is movement in all of my eggs, but a few others also have this weird space at the bottom. The have been on an automatic turner, at 99.5°F and 52% humidity.

WTF is going on with my eggs and should I intervene?

I raise Call ducks and incubate many eggs.

The egg in the video has died; any movement you may see is due to gases building up as the embryo decays.

If you have other eggs you'd like looked at show pictures of the eggs being candled from the side. The pictures need to be well focused and sharp in detail.

My Call duck eggs hatch on the 26th day; usually externally pipped on day 25.

Eggs that are not completely dark, except for the air cell, are likely to have died in the shell. Sorry.

I could really use some advice. I'm on day 25 of incubating call duck eggs. I candled one last time before lockdown and I saw several weird eggs.

For example, this one has a normal looking air cell and then at the bottom there is a large empty space, almost like another air cell?! It looks like an internal pip, too... but at the wrong end. There is movement in all of my eggs, but a few others also have this weird space at the bottom. The have been on an automatic turner, at 99.5°F and 52% humidity.

WTF is going on with my eggs and should I intervene?
As the video has been turned off I’m wondering how the two air cell baby turned out
I just hatched one day 29 that had 2 air cells and we didn’t know till he came out of the egg and could see The membrane was across the egg at the pointy end taking away much needed growth space.
My little guy is 2 weeks tomorrow but he has to be helped to eat and drink as well as walking.
We had X rays done and his legs were formed correctly but the bone mass was smaller then it should be. It’s going to take time for him to recover. This is from less room to develop as both his ends were blocked so he only had the middle area to grow.
He has come a very long way in the two weeks

As the video has been turned off I’m wondering how the two air cell baby turned out
I just hatched one day 29 that had 2 air cells and we didn’t know till he came out of the egg and could see The membrane was across the egg at the pointy end taking away much needed growth space.
My little guy is 2 weeks tomorrow but he has to be helped to eat and drink as well as walking.
We had X rays done and his legs were formed correctly but the bone mass was smaller then it should be. It’s going to take time for him to recover. This is from less room to develop as both his ends were blocked so he only had the middle area to grow.
He has come a very long way in the two weeks
The duckling didn't turn out, it was unfortunately long dead in the video

Back
Top Bottom