Two Bantams Unnaturally Tiny?

Wacky Workshop

In the Brooder
May 30, 2022
I picked up two silver(?) bantams in late February/early March. They are the same age as my Bronze Turkeys and RIRs, but are pitifully tiny. If I had to estimate, they have probably grown 10 grams since I got them.

One of them is a rooster, which makes me worried about his safety, since he is as small as a parakeet!

Does anyone know if there's something wrong with them, or is it simply a matter of their breed (if so, what breed are they? They are both light grey/silver, and have feathered feet. The female has cheek muffs)?

I picked up two silver(?) bantams in late February/early March. They are the same age as my Bronze Turkeys and RIRs, but are pitifully tiny. If I had to estimate, they have probably grown 10 grams since I got them.

One of them is a rooster, which makes me worried about his safety, since he is as small as a parakeet!

Does anyone know if there's something wrong with them, or is it simply a matter of their breed (if so, what breed are they? They are both light grey/silver, and have feathered feet. The female has cheek muffs)?
Pics?

0.jpg
20220531_155606.jpg
20220531_155648.jpg
20220531_155728_HDR.jpg
I couldn't get a good picture of Jessie (The female) but James is the rooster, which I got an up-close shot of.

They're bantams...they look normal to me. Bantams are supposed to be tiny.
They're also porcelain D'uccles.

They're bantams...they look normal to me. Bantams are supposed to be tiny.
They're also porcelain D'uccles.
I don't know... What bugs me is that they haven't grown, other than their feathers coming in. One pound, four ounces is about natural for them, but when you pick these two up, they actually feel weightless. I unfortunately don't have a scale, but they feel like paper.

I don't know... What bugs me is that they haven't grown, other than their feathers coming in. One pound, four ounces is about natural for them, but when you pick these two up, they actually feel weightless. I unfortunately don't have a scale, but they feel like paper.
Do they have a decent amount of breast muscle?
You can judge this by how prominent their keel bone is.
I use this chart.
tumblr_2c3b1c5f98a08421993740708623cda4_8e4ae9a7_1280.jpg

Back
Top Bottom