Two birds one nest...

The LRR Coop

Chirping
Sep 19, 2019
So my question will require a brief back story. I've hatched my first two batches of chicks ever!! First batch I only got six of 12 and discovered that temps were low. Second batch I got 10 out of twelve. It's loads of fun. So we have a Brahma that would just stay broody if left to her own devices so I decided to stick some eggs under her and just let her do her thing natures way. Well, after a couple of days our young mauve Orpington decided she would protect the eggs while the other hen was out eating and drinking. Then she decided she was broody too and they set on top of each other in the same box. (It's a box big enough for both) As of yesterday the two have managed to divvy up the eggs into two piles so they each have a few eggs. What will happen if/when any eggs hatch? Will they share? I haven't candled yet. Day 21 is June 8th. In addition to these two now our Marans has gone broody!! Is this contagious? So much for eggs!! Lol!
Pic is of some of our new chicks from the incubator.

Attachments

• received_253140096030834.jpeg
    received_253140096030834.jpeg
    475.4 KB · Views: 8
So my question will require a brief back story. I've hatched my first two batches of chicks ever!! First batch I only got six of 12 and discovered that temps were low. Second batch I got 10 out of twelve. It's loads of fun. So we have a Brahma that would just stay broody if left to her own devices so I decided to stick some eggs under her and just let her do her thing natures way. Well, after a couple of days our young mauve Orpington decided she would protect the eggs while the other hen was out eating and drinking. Then she decided she was broody too and they set on top of each other in the same box. (It's a box big enough for both) As of yesterday the two have managed to divvy up the eggs into two piles so they each have a few eggs. What will happen if/when any eggs hatch? Will they share? I haven't candled yet. Day 21 is June 8th. In addition to these two now our Marans has gone broody!! Is this contagious? So much for eggs!! Lol!
Pic is of some of our new chicks from the incubator.
Adorable chicks, good job! Broodiness is "contagious". Once one hen goes broody usually several others will too. They'll probably raise both clutches of chicks together. Keep us posted! Do you plan on giving the marans eggs too?

Adorable chicks, good job! Broodiness is "contagious". Once one hen goes broody usually several others will too. They'll probably raise both clutches of chicks together. Keep us posted! Do you plan on giving the marans eggs too?
Thank you!! I'm not planning to put eggs under our Marans. I've got two week old chicks and four week old chicks then if any of these hatch there will be those. I don't need anymore for now. Lol! Here's my broody duo!!

Attachments

• received_248173809593433.jpeg
    received_248173809593433.jpeg
    421.6 KB · Views: 4
Thank you!! I'm not planning to put eggs under our Marans. I've got two week old chicks and four week old chicks then if any of these hatch there will be those. I don't need anymore for now. Lol! Here's my broody duo!!
So cute! Yeah, you'll have a lot of chicks!

Back
Top Bottom