Two Broody Chickens, One abandoned nest Days 20-22

RBGChicks

Chirping
Apr 19, 2016
After we couldn't break our two buff orpingtons of their extreme broodiness, I decided somewhat on a lark to borrow fertile eggs from a neighbor. In total we put 7 potentially fertile eggs under two buffs over a period of two days. Yesterday, Day (18-20), two hatched and one more today (day 19-21). I believe two under one and one under the other (we marked eggs, but I don't really want to disturb them or the chickens to confirm)

The second broody got up and sat next to the first and the two seem to be happily coparenting three hatchlings together. Only problem is the second broodly has at least two other fertile eggs (and bunch of non-fertiles our easter egger keeps sneaking in there). I believe our easter egger - now gone but obsessed with that nesting spot- may have temporarily displaced her.

What to do? Should I put her back on the nest? Very gently move eggs while keeping their position to her new sitting place?

Temp here is 60s/70s until later tonight. Eggs have been unattended maybe an hour so far

Last edited:
I put the eggs back under her in her new nesting area, marking the position and trying not to move them. I definitely felt movement in one when I picked it up. She's on them tonight so we will see.

Back
Top Bottom