two broody ducks

braxide

Chirping
Aug 10, 2023
this morning i let out the birds and noticed a duck on a nest and after coming home from work i noticed another duck laying on the nest. are they both broody? i’d it possible they are going to raise the babies together? i haven’t had a broody duck before but we’ve had chicks hatch for many years and never seen anything like this with our hens. i don’t think the second one was just laying eggs because they both hissed at me and one lunged at me when i got too close. there’s also multiple nests where they lay so if she was just laying i would assume she wouldn’t lay where a duck is already laying on a nest ,but who knows!

Attachments

• 75BD3014-FDA6-43DE-A38F-8DFE8481B08F.png
    75BD3014-FDA6-43DE-A38F-8DFE8481B08F.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 32
I’ve seen this happen with other people’s ducks! Sounds like they’re both broody together ☺️ I believe any ducklings that hatch will either be shared between the two hens, or one hen will claim ownership of them all.
i kinda hope they both raise them that would be cool to see!

Sometimes shared nests work, and sometimes they don't. A lot depends upon the temperament of the birds involved. In my experience shared nests has resulted in lower % hatch rates.
that’s good to know . hopefully it works out then cause we are wanted ducklings !

Back
Top Bottom