Two broody hens with the same chicks?

Nectarine

Chirping
Sep 9, 2021
Is it possible for two chickens to mother the same batch of chicks? One is a silkie mix and the other I’m not too sure about but both hens are timid and the most jumpy of our flock, they all get along but cause the silkie was the first to go broody our second hen has no eggs under her. Our second hen is also being bullied by our rooster (I would also like to know the most humane way to off a rooster as he is very aggressive and attacks the second broody hen). I would love for our second hen to raise some chicks as she is a beautiful chicken in an unfortunate situation and it’s both their first time going broody :)

Like sit on the same best?
I'm not sure, I'll wait for someone experienced to explain that.
As for the rooster, there's many different methods, I prefer a hatchet or a "sleep box",
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...re-culling-the-injured-and-sick-babies.72140/
Not sure how you would make a sleep box for a perfectly healthy robust rooster, and put him in it, if you describe what he's doing, you might be able to rehab him.

Like sit on the same best?
I'm not sure, I'll wait for someone experienced to explain that.
As for the rooster, there's many different methods, I prefer a hatchet or a "sleep box",
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...re-culling-the-injured-and-sick-babies.72140/
Not sure how you would make a sleep box for a perfectly healthy robust rooster, and put him in it, if you describe what he's doing, you might be able to rehab him.
For the hens I mean to say that once the chicks hatch that both hens are able to raise them and for the rooster I’ll describe his behaviour from what I’ve seen: yesterday I witnessed him push her down as if to mate only to hop off and repeatedly peck her head just after her comb to the point where it’s bled, she doesn’t stay with the flock anymore and runs away from him. I do have a picture of her head if you need to see tho to me it looks more superficial than deep

Hold him by his feet upside down.

you can make a restraining cone out of a 1 gallon plastic jug with the top cut open to allow the head to stick out.

Use a razor knife or sharp knife to cut one of the arteries or veins in his neck to his head. Usually they don’t make a fuss.

he should calmly go to sleep as his blood drains and he looses consciousness.

I hated killing chickens when I was younger. I let them die naturally now and bury them 2 feet deep in the garden.

Most rosters become less aggressive if the owner holds them upside down by the legs if they are troublemaking.

there is always a pecking order.
I allow roosters to be protective but not destructive. They get a time out pen for the day when it happens.

upon reintroduction, they start at the bottom again.

Is it possible for two chickens to mother the same batch of chicks? One is a silkie mix and the other I’m not too sure about but both hens are timid and the most jumpy of our flock, they all get along but cause the silkie was the first to go broody our second hen has no eggs under her. Our second hen is also being bullied by our rooster (I would also like to know the most humane way to off a rooster as he is very aggressive and attacks the second broody hen). I would love for our second hen to raise some chicks as she is a beautiful chicken in an unfortunate situation and it’s both their first time going broody :)
I had this happen recently. The hens ended up splitting the chicks and the Roo picked his hen. After that they were ok. Then the second hen abandoned her chicks and Wilson raised them. Don't give up on your Roo. If he's being a jerk just chase him off for a minute.

Hold him by his feet upside down.

you can make a restraining cone out of a 1 gallon plastic jug with the top cut open to allow the head to stick out.

Use a razor knife or sharp knife to cut one of the arteries or veins in his neck to his head. Usually they don’t make a fuss.

he should calmly go to sleep as his blood drains and he looses consciousness.

I hated killing chickens when I was younger. I let them die naturally now and bury them 2 feet deep in the garden.

Most rosters become less aggressive if the owner holds them upside down by the legs if they are troublemaking.

there is always a pecking order.
I allow roosters to be protective but not destructive. They get a time out pen for the day when it happens.

upon reintroduction, they start at the bottom again.
Thank you :) I’ll do the two thing that are supposed to calm him down and watch him and if he does it again I’ll use killing him as a last resort, wish me luck!

I had this happen recently. The hens ended up splitting the chicks and the Roo picked his hen. After that they were ok. Then the second hen abandoned her chicks and Wilson raised them. Don't give up on your Roo. If he's being a jerk just chase him off for a minute.
I’m just a bit worried about him being violent especially with chicks on the way. I’d hate to kill him but I’m afraid that just chasing him off will do nothing.

I’m just a bit worried about him being violent especially with chicks on the way. I’d hate to kill him but I’m afraid that just chasing him off will do nothing.
I have 6 Roos. 1 in the coop 5 in the yard. There is one top Roo in the yard - Wilson - When I had two broody girls with chicks he watched them both. Then the younger of the two was slacking and so he started being a little rude to her. We chased him away. Yes, the chicks will scatter. They'll find their way back quickly. Eventually, the older hen took over the younger hen could have cared less.

Back
Top Bottom