Two Broody white Leghorns!

Ducks4us

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 31, 2015
North Idaho
We went camping for a week and had neighbors who could check in on the birds food and water, but didnt have anyone collect eggs. and when we returned 2 of our 6 month old white leghorn hens have become broody. One has 12 eggs under her. And one has 10 eggs.
4F1C8EC9-A290-43FB-8AF9-3BDDCCB4D5F4.jpeg
Its been 2 1/2 weeks since we got home from camping, and chicks started hatching yesterday. The other hens will prob hatch today. I bought white leghorns for my husband who strictly wanted good layers this year! But i am oh so very happy that i ended up with a couple broodies!! Never thought it would happen!

We went camping for a week and had neighbors who could check in on the birds food and water, but didnt have anyone collect eggs. and when we returned 2 of our 6 month old white leghorn hens have become broody. One has 12 eggs under her. And one has 10 eggs.
View attachment 1892061 Its been 2 1/2 weeks since we got home from camping, and chicks started hatching yesterday. The other hens will prob hatch today. I bought white leghorns for my husband who strictly wanted good layers this year! But i am oh so very happy that i ended up with a couple broodies!! Never thought it would happen!

:loveThis is precious! Congratulations. Sounds like you lucked out!

Odd that a leghorn would go broody, let alone 2 at once!!
Got plans for the inevitable males?
I know! It was Very shocking! Super happy about it however. They have been excellent moms too! We have 17 babies total. And everyone is happy and healthy! We will prob butcher the xtra males when they are a few months old. They wont be very heavy since they are leghorn/ ee but they should be good enough for a few meals

They wont be very heavy since they are leghorn/ ee but they should be good enough for a few meals
Yup, I eat all my layer breed boys, skinny but delicious!
I've got 5 going tomorrow, at 14 weeks I can still grill them after resting carcass for 2-3-4 days.

Back
Top Bottom