Two chickens born last fall just not right any ideas why? What did I do wrong?

Ok. I'm thinking the hen is egg bound. I've been giving her the calcium d3. Each egg just keeps getting bigger! Should I try Epson salt bath? She is just down today won't eat worms drinking water though. Lethargic but still moving around. I put her in the dark by herself. Am I doing anything right?

Ok. I'm thinking the hen is egg bound. I've been giving her the calcium d3. Each egg just keeps getting bigger! Should I try Epson salt bath? She is just down today won't eat worms drinking water though. Lethargic but still moving around. I put her in the dark by herself. Am I doing anything right?
How is your hen today? If she's in a bad way, you might try posting on the Emergency Forum. Her eggs getting bigger as she goes on is unfortunately genetic, there's really no way to make them smaller again. Except you could try getting her to stop laying by reducing daylight to simulate winter/molt. When she starts again after a pause, eggs should start out smaller at least for a little while.

Epsom salt bath could help relax her, and help her pass larger eggs, but this is a temporary help. If you put her in the dark long enough (less than 12 hrs of daylight a day) for a number of weeks you could cause her to stop laying. Depending on her issues and how much you love this hen, you may try that. Some folks will keep daylight low for favorite hens with egg issues year round in an effort to keep them from laying and preserve their health. Other folks pay large amounts of money for a hormonal implant that prevents the hen from laying more eggs due to various egg laying issues that are avoided when the hen is not laying. It all depends on how you feel about your hen and the resources available to you.

Sending you supportive thoughts.

Thank you so much for your support! She is doing better but only probably till next egg 😔 I'm trying the dark thing like you suggested. Been in there for a few days and hasn't lasted an egg. She is a lovely hen. So sweet and gentle!

Thank you so much for your support! She is doing better but only probably till next egg 😔 I'm trying the dark thing like you suggested. Been in there for a few days and hasn't lasted an egg. She is a lovely hen. So sweet and gentle!
Once she stops laying you can give her daylight for some amount of time every day but keep it below the level that triggers her to start laying again, it varies per hen. Some folks have had luck with about 7 hrs of daylight. Some can handle ten hours. It really depends. Good luck with your sweet girl!

Back
Top Bottom