Two Chickens Enough??

MrsHall28

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
We are looking to have enough eggs just for my husband and I and are considering Plymoth Rock chickens. We are allowed three, but many of the chicken coop kits look like they'd only house two comfortably. Would two chickens be enough?

I just did a quick Google search, and MPC suggests that with two Plymouth Rocks, you should get 4 eggs per week from each hen.

We'll have one Brahma, 2 Ameraucanas and 2 Cuckoo Marans, and should (in theory) have almost 1.5dz/week from our girls. Luckily, I have neighbors and coworkers who will want eggs too. :)

Well, that is a question with a different answer for everybody. It really depends on how many eggs you eat. And, just so you know, your coop size only depends on how much time your hens are going to spend in there. If they have a run and will only be in the coop during the evenings, then they only really need enough room to roost, and for 3 hens, you only need 1 nesting box.

Thanks for the replies! I'd love three, but I'm worried about the chickens being comfortable. I may just I ahead and add a run extension if a small coop isn't that big of an issue. I'll definitely be sure they have plenty of room to walk around. I also plan on letting them roam the backyard when I get home from work and can suprivise them.

Yeah, if they have room to roam during the day, the coop size isn't so much of an issue. You could also look into building your own coop if you're handy at all, it's usually cheaper.

Ok, I did it! Just bought my first coop online! Neither the hubby or I are that great at building things. One of these days we will build one, though.
So excited! Now just need to look around some nearby chicken farms and find some chicks!

I just did a quick Google search, and MPC suggests that with two Plymouth Rocks, you should get 4 eggs per week from each hen.

We'll have one Brahma, 2 Ameraucanas and 2 Cuckoo Marans, and should (in theory) have almost 1.5dz/week from our girls. Luckily, I have neighbors and coworkers who will want eggs too. :)
I don't know what kind of Rocks MPC is selling, but my girls lay lots more than that! New layers lay 6-7 eggs a week. My two year old girls are laying around 5 a week.

I'd be quite upset if I only got 4 eggs per week per bird.

Back
Top Bottom