Two chickens had their crops opened up by another chicken.

Benjinho17

Hatching
Feb 19, 2018
Northern British Columbia
I am a bit confused. I noticed some blood on my eggs so I investigated. I have three Rhode Islands. I found one chicken had its crop opened right up, meaning the skin was peeled back and the chicken had pretty much a hole in its chest. I culled the chicken as it was bleeding and I did not want it to suffer. I figured this solved the problem. However, this morning a second chicken had its crop opened right up and it had organs hanging out. I culled that one as well as I did not want it to suffer. I checked the third chicken and she was fine, but I noticed her the day before picking at the injury of the first chicken. I am confused as to what happened. As per hierarchy, the surviving chicken was usually at the bottom of the flock. Could this have been a case of cannibalism or disease? I'm not sure about disease, as two chickens had pretty much their chests opened up and the third chicken was picking at the wound. Has anyone else had a similar situation happen?

Any chance some kind of predator is hanging around? Doesn't sound to me like the damage chickens do to each other. They will peck at a wound once its there.. Sounds like you have a critter after your chickens

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

I totally agree with the above and believe that you are dealing with a predator. Chickens do not normally go for the throat or crop on other chickens and prefer the head and comb.

She was probably only pecking at the injury because they do do that; any chicken with blood on her is fair game and needs to be separated.

You need to check out your coop and run [if they are confined to a run] for predator entry points or your remaining girl is at risk :(

If you include your general location on your profile, this will assist others in narrowing down the suspects.

Oh, and welcome to BYC, I am sorry that the circumstances you join us were not nicer.

Thanks for your responses. I will look for tracks, which should be easy to spot as we have lots of snow. We are in northern BC, Canada. I didn't think of that possibility, as they are locked in at night. Thanks for the insight.
@Teila, I have found the website very informative and have accessed it extensively, but I did not have any questions until now.

Back
Top Bottom