Two chicks dead in past few days ;(

CaramelKittey

Crowing
Feb 15, 2019
New Jersey
Hello!
We have had a chick with an injured foot with 2 polish chicks all about 8 weeks old with 7-8 other mixed breed 8 week old chicks and 4 four grown bantam hens. The injured foot chickens and the two polish were in a brooder box the first 6 weeks of their lives. Recently we put them outside in the daytime and took them in at night. We put them out at night when my we thought (I didn’t think they were ready) to stay outside at night as well. A couple days ago, the injured chick passed away and one of the polish (a hen) took it very hard and was hunched over with her feathers puffed out. Just an hour ago, we found her dead. Is this because of depression? Did they go out to early? It was a mild temperature day and went down to 60 degrees last night but was fine during the day time. What was the cause of her death and should I consider a necropsy? :hit
Thanks in advance.

Hello!
We have had a chick with an injured foot with 2 polish chicks all about 8 weeks old with 7-8 other mixed breed 8 week old chicks and 4 four grown bantam hens. The injured foot chickens and the two polish were in a brooder box the first 6 weeks of their lives. Recently we put them outside in the daytime and took them in at night. We put them out at night when my we thought (I didn’t think they were ready) to stay outside at night as well. A couple days ago, the injured chick passed away and one of the polish (a hen) took it very hard and was hunched over with her feathers puffed out. Just an hour ago, we found her dead. Is this because of depression? Did they go out to early? It was a mild temperature day and went down to 60 degrees last night but was fine during the day time. What was the cause of her death and should I consider a necropsy? :hit
Thanks in advance.
I'm sorry for your losses. This isn't depression.
It very much sounds like you've got an outbreak of coccidiosis and you need to treat your flock for it ASAP. Do you have Corid?

Were they out in grass eating and did they have chick sized grit available? How were the crops? Did they have shade and plenty of water? Coccidiosis is a common problem at thast age. It might be helpful to staret some Corid in case of that, and if a necropsy is available for a chickenthat was kept cool, I would get one from your state poultry vet. Sorry for your loss.

I'm sorry for your losses. This isn't depression.
It very much sounds like you've got an outbreak of coccidiosis and you need to treat your flock for it ASAP. Do you have Corid?
Hi! Thanks for your help! We do not have Corid but we could probably get some. Do they sell it at tractor supply or amazion? Thank you! I’ll try to get it ASAP. How do you give them corid? I should give it to all my birds right? Should I give it to my ducks as well? Thank you!

Were they out in grass eating and did they have chick sized grit available? How were the crops? Did they have shade and plenty of water? Coccidiosis is a common problem at thast age. It might be helpful to staret some Corid in case of that, and if a necropsy is available for a chickenthat was kept cool, I would get one from your state poultry vet. Sorry for your loss.
They were on grass a few weeks ago just in the day (just the polish and injured foot chick) and now they are on shavings. We have given them chick grit but not for a while. I haven’t checked their crops but I will tomorrow. They are in shade 24/7 and they should have water. (My sister is in charge of that) She changes it when it is dirty. We did not keep the chick in the fridge. It would be outside for 12+ hours. Is it to late to try to chill it?

Thank you!

Most tractor supplies sell it, it comes in liquid (your picture) or powder, either will work, usually in the cattle/livestock section. The sooner you can start treatment the better. If you can get it locally rather than wait for it to be shipped, the better chance they will recover, it can progress quickly. It's very common in chicks, and the treatment is very safe.
Also give any that are showing symptoms an oral dose in addition to the medicated water, dosing for that is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
Make sure the medicated water is the only water available, make fresh daily, and don't give vitamins during treatment as it may reduce the effectiveness of the treatment.
Treatment chart below, use the severe outbreak dosing, and images of the corid products below that.
900x900px-LL-a380cae7_Untitled.jpeg

2202129.jpg

1033284.jpg

Most tractor supplies sell it, it comes in liquid (your picture) or powder, either will work, usually in the cattle/livestock section. The sooner you can start treatment the better. If you can get it locally rather than wait for it to be shipped, the better chance they will recover, it can progress quickly. It's very common in chicks, and the treatment is very safe.
Also give any that are showing symptoms an oral dose in addition to the medicated water, dosing for that is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
Make sure the medicated water is the only water available, make fresh daily, and don't give vitamins during treatment as it may reduce the effectiveness of the treatment.
Treatment chart below, use the severe outbreak dosing, and images of the corid products below that.
View attachment 1892004
View attachment 1892005
View attachment 1892006
Thank you! We already ordered the Corid and hopefully it will be here soon. I haven’t seen anybody else show signs of the disease but I’ll still be on the lookout. I put apple cider vinegar in there water (I treated everybody but the ducks) and i hope it will prevent any further problems. Thank you everybody for all your help! My flock really appreciates it! :wee:hugs

Back
Top Bottom