Two coops, one run

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
I’m wondering if anyone has two coops connected with one run. Our coop right now is 5x6 which is perfect for our 3 hens, but if we wanted to add more, the coop would be too small. I’m thinking of building another slightly smaller coop and attaching it to the other side of the run. But my only concern is they will all go into one coop anyway.

I have this set up, it works well for integration. My small integration coop does have a small run too that I can block off - but it's all (small coop & run) inside the big run. If that makes sense.

So I added 4 pullets last fall, they spent the winter in the small coop separated in a look but no touch setting till they got bigger. This spring I took the divider down & let them all together during the day but they would go back to their little coop at night on their own & the big girls went to their coop. This lasted till I got sick of cleaning a 2nd coop & locked them out so they had no choice but to sleep with the big girls. It worked well for me. With that said, I do wonder if the littles would have eventually moved into the big coop on their own. :idunno I didn't give it long enough to see, but they were this way for at least a month. So really I'm no help. :lau

Last edited:
Are you able to build on to your current coop?
Unfortunately i don’t think so because it’s pallet wood ontop of plywood. and i don’t even remember how we put on the side what we could expand, i believe we screwed the plywood to the 2x4s. I mean we could maybe take a sledge hammer to it.... but with that being said i would have no where to put the chickens while we are working on their coop

Unfortunately i don’t think so because it’s pallet wood ontop of plywood. and i don’t even remember how we put on the side what we could expand, i believe we screwed the plywood to the 2x4s. I mean we could maybe take a sledge hammer to it.... but with that being said i would have no where to put the chickens while we are working on their coop

My thought was cutting a chicken door in a wall and basically making it a double coop in one, but I don't know what you're working with, personally

Back
Top Bottom