Two coops, one run?

fmoss3

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 19, 2013
I have a pre-made coop, which is only big enough for 5 - 6 chickens. It has a built-in run, which I have extended so the chickens would be happier.

I am looking into expanding my flock. Would it be okay to have two hen houses connected to the same run? Also thinking it will keep them warmer in the winter... I don't see why it wouldn't work, just figured I should ask.

I think it would be kind of handy since you could use one for a hospital if neccessary or for new introductions. THe only down fall may be that certain birds will have their place to sleep so if you lock them up at night you will have to do both coops and also get eggs in both coops. Small inconvenience at best...Post pics when you are done.

We actually had three coops that opened into one run. Each coop had it's own small run underneath. We configured coop/run doors that would open the three small runs out into the one large common run. -worked just fine. You should be able to use one larger run for two coops (providing the flocks integrate well).

Sounds like my project is a go, then! I will be taking pics of the whole process. Thanks, everyone :)

Sounds interesting, I have not tried this.

I have a 5x7 coop that stands 6.5 feet and a run that is 5x15. The run is made from a dog kennel that you can get at lowes. My thought is to put a 3x5 "coop" at the other end for food, water and nesting boxes and leave the other (original) side to roosting. This will increase my run to 5x20 due to having an extra panel which acts as the end of the run

Back
Top Bottom