Two day old chick, not sure what to do

Chris Hernandez

Chirping
May 17, 2017
I have a two day old chick that hatched late. When I went to put it with his mother and the rest of the chicks, the mother pecked it. Eventually I snuck it under her at night, but when i found it in the morning it was in a corner bleeding. The chick has 3 open wounds 1 of which is severe. The first one is on his back, you couldd see his spine, and the feathers and skin is gone. The other one is on the back of his head which is not as severe, and the third is his nech that is completely featherless and was bleeding. He was doing better when we got him a heat lamp but now he can not lift his head up at all, and does not even chirp when i pick him up. He is only two days old and will not drink or eat. I have cleaned the wound, and put hydrogen peroxide, and neosporin. He is not moving very much and will not stand up. He won't even open his eyes.

That's rough. It probably won't make it being so young, but you never know. I might try dripping some sugar water in its mouth to give it some quick energy. It could have low blood sugar at this point.

OK i will try, but how much sugar and how much water?
Lots of sugar. Maybe a tablespoon to one cup of water. This is just short term to give it some energy. Just drip a little on his beak - hopefully it'll try to drink some!
Don't use peroxide again, it eats healthy skin cells and is too harsh for this chick. I hope it recovers!

Lots of sugar. Maybe a tablespoon to one cup of water. This is just short term to give it some energy. Just drip a little on his beak - hopefully it'll try to drink some!
Don't use peroxide again, it eats healthy skin cells and is too harsh for this chick. I hope it recovers!
Thank you so much, I wont use it again.

Back
Top Bottom