Two dead--in less then a day

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smallfarmerky, Aug 17, 2011.

1. smallfarmerky

smallfarmerky New Egg

Aug 17, 2011
    Ok here is what I know..... new coop, new flock, first chickens we ever had. Have been in a large coop not outside. Moved to an old calf barn lot and let out two days. Have been feeding a starter/grower with a coccidiostat 'Amprolium" for several weeks. Still feeding but also gave one cup of scrach grains and one small cup (less then 1/4 tea cup) of oryster slees and grit. all feed free choice. Treated water today with an electrolyte powder. I also bought a bottle of liquid amprolium, but after reading the feed bag it said use the feed as the sole source of amprolium so i did not add to the water..... Droppings seem to have some blood. Do you think this is coccidiosis???? What is an emergency treatment option?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I would go ahead and treat them with the 9.6% oral corid solution that you have. Dosage is 9.5cc per gallon of water and give for 5 days straight.
    The amprolium in the bag is minute in quantity and is used to help the chicks build immunity to cocci over time. Edited; dont add electrolytes or anything else to the corid/water mixture.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  4. smallfarmerky

smallfarmerky New Egg

Aug 17, 2011
    And the third died today [​IMG] treating water, this is one bad protozan!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by