Two Dead N.H. Reds, Suspect Shot

Woodsmort...it was a pretty big cat.I guess i should have been clearer, both hens weren't killed the same day.The second one to die was yesterday, the first two days before.
The hens throat was chewed up,very fresh blood and she was very warm. She had just been killed, and the cat was very close by.The first hen had the same wounds to her throat.The cat didn't eat any parts of the hens, just killed for fun/instinct..Yes,N H Reds are big birds, however i have no doubt this cat killed my hens. I've had pet cats all my life, i've owned two big Tom cats that use to take out full grow rabbits. Grant it, most cats wouldn't/couldn't kill a large full grown hen, but to say all cats aren't capable would be inaccurate.Maybe not the norm, but it happens..
Regarding the pellet rifle, the one i bought is a Crossman Storm XL, it is a powerfull pellet rifle,very capable of killing a cat at close range. I was only about 10-12 ft from the cat.

Quote:
I dont think anyone was saying that a cat CAN'T kill a full grown hen, just that in my experience it's a little unusual. If a weasel can kill a hen a cat can surely do it! They have all of the intelligence and certainly have the tools.

We all know that sick feeling you get when you walk up on a situation like yours. Good luck to you; I hope your shot took care of it!!!

Well,i don't know about "cool", however, since that incident,the cat hasn't been around and there have been no more chicken losses.I think its accurate to say, i did shoot the correct predator.
I agree in most cases a cat will leave a full grown chicken alone, but...they can and do kill large mature hens.This cat didn't eat my lost hens, just killed them, attacking the throat area.
It showed no fear of me,as it sat close to its kill, as a ferral cat normally would.It was just a collarless cat that liked to kill, as many cats do.

How big was this cat? I find it hard to comprehend that a cat could kill something as big as a NH hen, much less two. I've had some big cats over the year that were good hunters and most could kill anything much larger than a half-grown rabbit. Also none of them were ever even interested in the chickens once they got past the fuzzy stage.

Growing up we had a feral tom cat start killing our white leghorn laying hens and they were in layer cages no less. The cat ran around on the tops of the cages and the hens while trying to escape tripped out sticking their heads & necks through the opening in the cages that the hens used to eat and drink through. Because the heads and necks were attacked we naturally thought that the culprit was a weasel until the tom cat was caught in the act one night.

My ratty pack takes care of all cats that venture in! Ratty pack is 3 rat terriers. and they work well together. House cats are the most common predator here. Close second is dogs. The wild creatures give me no problems.

My ratty pack takes care of all cats that venture in! Ratty pack is 3 rat terriers. and they work well together. House cats are the most common predator here. Close second is dogs. The wild creatures give me no problems.
If the original cat survived and returned to its rightful owner, said owner would hopefully notice any wounds and get the hint that some folks don't take kindly to wandering, trespassing animals.

Back
Top Bottom