Two different male breed

farmerkylie

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 21, 2014
If I have all cotournix females but one Texas a&m then I add a cotournix male and they both mate with all my pharaoh females will females have mixed breed or half and half? Like half pharaoh and a&m then half just cotournix.

Sorry if this is a stupid question...

There are no dumb questions. :) Some breeds of quail cannot mate with other breeds of quail and produce offspring. I am not sure that the Texas A&M can properly inseminate a Coturnix due to physiological issues. I am not familiar with this, but it is possible. BUT....Sperm don't mix in the hens egg/yolk. Only one can enter. So if a male Coturnix mates with the same hen that the Texas A&M is mating, it depends on which sperm gets their first. So she could lay some eggs with Coturnix and some with 1/2 Coturnix and 1/2 Texas. (if the mating is successful internally)

Give it a try and see what happens! Just make sure you have enough females for these 2 boys. They can over mate and kill your birds without enough hens for them to mate with. 1 male per 5 to 7 hens is a good ratio.

There are no dumb questions. :) Some breeds of quail cannot mate with other breeds of quail and produce offspring. I am not sure that the Texas A&M can properly inseminate a Coturnix due to physiological issues. I am not familiar with this, but it is possible. BUT....Sperm don't mix in the hens egg/yolk. Only one can enter. So if a male Coturnix mates with the same hen that the Texas A&M is mating, it depends on which sperm gets their first. So she could lay some eggs with Coturnix and some with 1/2 Coturnix and 1/2 Texas. (if the mating is successful internally)

Give it a try and see what happens! Just make sure you have enough females for these 2 boys. They can over mate and kill your birds without enough hens for them to mate with. 1 male per 5 to 7 hens is a good ratio.

Okay! Thank you so much. This helps a lot :) I'm going to give it a go and see what happens!

All the quail that you are talking about are all conturnix a&m tibetan , golden and so on are just colors at least that is what I read

Ok now I have a ? Do a&m females make noise my girls are 7 weeks old no eggs yet and no crowing from boys im new to this and its first time vent sexing

7 weeks isn't bad. They don't always start early. It's shorter days right now and they may need light on a timer.

Thanks peanut 1981 next ?do I use a reg house light and what wattage should I give them extra light at night or in the morning

Sorry they are all pharaoh cotournix except two. One is Texas a&m white and the other one is mixed between I don't know what breeds. (Here is a pic) I also have 3 chicks in with them.
All the quail that you are talking about are all conturnix a&m tibetan , golden and so on are just colors at least that is what I read

You know that's bad to put chickens with your quail right? And they are all still Japanese coturnix.

Back
Top Bottom