Two different male breed

I heard you should keep chickens separate from quail
I heard that as well but some people said they did it so I figured I would give it a try and everything has been good so far! It's been a week or so as they're fine together. (Knock on wood)

You should never mix chickens and quail. Chickens carry many diseases that they are resistant to but are fatal to quail. Most chickens can carry these diseases for their entire life without showing any symptoms. People doing this with chickens and quail are doing a dis service to the species. Eventually because of people keeping them however they want to, not however they should, quail will also start to carry all of these chicken diseases.

This is a quail with advanced coryza it got from a healthy looking chicken

Coryza isn't the only disease. There is also MG, blackhead, cocci, and a bunch of others as well as a host of parasites.

Ok...
You should never mix chickens and quail. Chickens carry many diseases that they are resistant to but are fatal to quail. Most chickens can carry these diseases for their entire life without showing any symptoms. People doing this with chickens and quail are doing a dis service to the species. Eventually because of people keeping them however they want to, not however they should, quail will also start to carry all of these chicken diseases. 

This is a quail with advanced coryza it got from a healthy looking chicken 

Coryza isn't the only disease. There is also MG, blackhead, cocci, and a bunch of others as well as a host of parasites. 
Yeah I don't want any of mine getting that! Or any of those diseases. I will move them out today! Also when can I take the headlamp off of my quail? They're about 4 weeks old now but it's been low 50s the past week here where I live.

Once they have all their adult feathers they're good to go. usually its 4-5 weeks. I remove it when all the yellow feathers around their face are gone because those are the last to be replaced when they molt into their adult feathers. Turn it off in the middle of the day one day and just leave it off. This way they don't get shocked by a drastic temp change.

Back
Top Bottom