Two ducklings on the way! What should I know?!

Thanks Judy!!
I was still aware of the temp. thing. We had to watch it with my goats when they were two weeks old but even worse my parrot when he was a baby. The heat lamps and tarps are our best friends!! I knew to have everything read when they came home but didnt think about having the lamps on already. Thanks so much!! Its a lot like bringing a new baby home. hahaha Ill look into the book for a quick on hand answer! I know this one woman on here uses baking soda at the bottom of her duckling cage to help with the smell. She said they took a bite of it and pretty much left it alone. I know people used it in their rabbit cages too! Wish I knew that earlier, my rabbit just died but I could have used that information!:) Everyone says Metzer is great and after researching others they just seemed the best (and best priced.) I cant wait till they get here!!! Thanks again!! Anymore info is great!!!:)

Last edited:
It looks like you are doing a great job researching. One word of caution, take whatever you are told at the feed store with a grain of salt. Many feed store employees are not familiar with ducks and you could get bad advice. You can just ask them if they are familiar with raising ducklings.
Though you could get bad advice from anyone.
wink.png

Thank you so much!! Ive read a lot of people having problems with their feed stores giving false information. We have other farm animals, so we know them well. We are lucky, they seem to be pretty knowledgeable and accurate. (For the most part) But thank you for the warning, Ive seen so many people that have gotten bad information. Happy New Year and thank you SO much!!! I am so excited, its partly a surprise for my Dad (but more of a gift for me.) I am having such a hard time keeping quiet!!! Cant wait!!!!
wee.gif

Congrats! Ducks are a lot of fun and relatively low maintenance...I've had a Peking before and he was really sweet

BUT....I would strongly advise against putting male ducks in with chicken hens. I had Paul in until he was 3 months and he tried to mate them. This is a big no no. Ducks have completely different anatomy than chickens and can cause significant damage to hens. If there are no female ducks he will try to mate your hens it's their instinct. I wouldn't even try it. It's not worth the life of your chickens. I would say separate enclosures.
Also I would recommend niacin as a supplement. It helps with proper leg and foot development. Amiga,as always, has great advice and I second all she has to say. Ducklings are messy and require a lot of water.they must be able to rinse their noses. I would set the waterer inside another shallow container to catch the water they spill. Feed any flock raiser or chick starter that is non medicated...emphasis on the non...and yes they can swim as early as a week as long as you dry them off because they aren't fully fledged. Ducks have their messy quirks but I think they are well worth it and have super personalities! Good luck!

Thank you so much!!! I totally believe you, I am now against putting them together. I just got off the phone with Metzer and changed to 2 girls!! lol The two ladies will be here the ninth as well, Metzer was so great!!! I asked him a few questions and they had NO problem changing my order! At no cost for me!!!
Im so excited and thrilled that they were so flexible! I did what everyone told me and called my post office and notified them that the ducks would be coming. They asked me to call again the 8th. The PO said they would call my phone when they girls arrive and I can come to the back door of the PO to pick them up!! This means skipping lines and being able to go the minute they arrive regardless of the PO work hours! Im so excited!!! Could I buy the Niacin at the feed store?? I didnt get a chance to go there yet.

We are going through a cold snap where I live so I might need to put in 2 heating lamps. Metzer suggested to have the lights on the day before they get here to warm the bedding and to have the water laying out already so it wont be too cold at first. I will definitely take your advice about the water too!! Thank you so so much!!!! The dogs love the chickens!! (who they actually got to meet today without being separated) By love I mean really could care less about them, hahaha. Thanks everyone for all the advice!! Keep it comin!!!:)

Last edited:
Female ducks lay eggs without mating but the eggs aren't fertile.

Aside from watching for egg-related concerns, and feed, same care for ducks as drakes. Laying ducks need much more calcium,which is not good long term for drakes.

Sounds perfect!!! Thank you so much!! I cannot wait!!! Our hens lay eggs and are on a higher calcium diet too. So we are getting more used to dealing with that and what to watch for. But Im sure Ill still be full of questions!! hahaha Thanks again!!!:)

Always glad to help! There are no stupid questions here! Probably you will be happier with females I think that was a good decision....I got mine from Metzers too and they were really great. Yeah the po called me at like 6 am to come get mine! Baby ducks are a hoot they are super curious and they will bond with you quickly...imprint that is...they will follow you around like momma....so precious!!! Keep us posted...do u have names in mind yet? :)

Oh btw you can get niacin at most drug stores or health supplement stores like vitamin shoppe....my Peking did fine without it but I did give it to my runners to help one of their slight pigeon toedness...

Back
Top Bottom