Two ducks disappear

Hhaws

Hatching
May 29, 2021
So I have two ducks. Two nights ago, during a storm, I woke up with only one duck. There were no feathers. I lay a big sign on my shed as a door, and it had fallen. The fence was untouched. I’ve never seen predator animals in my backyard but we do have woods back there. We have maybe an acre or two back there. So only one duck was gone. Tonight my fence is a little bent up and my other duck is gone. I live in a regular neighborhood with neighbors on both side, so I don’t think someone could have stole them. If it was a predator I feel like I would have seen some blood or feathers and I dont see why it would have waited two nights to get my other duck. I believe my fit duck flew away during the windy storm and got lost. Maybe my other duck (who can not fly very well) kinda hopped onto the fence and plopped out. I have searched and called them to no luck. I was thinking a fox may have gotten them, but the fence is only bent for something to have hopped out, not come in. Was wondering if anyone else has seen this.

That makes sense. It just would have had to sneak into my fence, kill them, and then sneak them back out of the fence without leaving so much as a feather. We have hawks around here and we have foxes I’m sure. They both were gone at night. I’ve had them here for a month or two. Theyre about 5 months old I believe. I just don’t know how an animal could take my big duck through chicken coop wire. I’m sure it could have jumped in some way, but they weren’t free roaming at the time.

I'm so sorry that you lost your ducks. What breed of ducks are they? How old? How long have you had them? Any chance you're able to get a picture of their sleeping quarters and the door (along with the damage to the door)? There are some folks here that can easily give you an idea after seeing pictures.
A predator could have torn the door down before or after the storm and took the first duck. Then it knew that it could come back at another time for your other duck. I certainly hope that's not the case and I hope even more that your ducks will show up healthy and hungry.

Whenever my Mallard Drake was taken, there was no evidence of anything. I suspect an owl took him as it was right before lock up at dark, while he was out free ranging. The only clue I had was the rest of the flock was fearful hiding and looking overhead for days after. Of course ducks are always checking overhead but they were just different

We used to leave our ducks free at night roosting on the edge of the water, a year they were fine! We have approx 6 foot stone walls with a further 6 foot of wire mesh fence all around.
We lost a duck, we thought hmm maybe they flew out I'm sure we will find it, the next night 2 gone. All adults and the male was very heavy!
We spoke to the feed store and he said fox, if there was no trace left it was a fox, there is a stoat like animal round here and they will slit all their throats and take what they want, so carnage is left behind!! So now they rather unhappily sleep in a very secure temporary house while pallets are repurpoused into a secure duck house.
So I would highly recommend a secure house, with a closing door and no entry points. When they are asleep ducks are very vulnerable and also have terrible defence mechanisms!
Do you have a dog? That will keep a fox away.
I'm sorry too, that sucks💔

It just would have had to sneak into my fence, kill them, and then sneak them back out of the fence without leaving so much as a feather.
Coons will absolutely carry away their victim (sometimes without a trace) and only come back in a day or three when they've finished what they took. We had a plague of them in my neighborhood last year, this year I've only seen one so far.

Really I expect a lot of predators could do just what you described. Tighten up their house and get yourself a trap. Every predator will keep coming back for more if they find a place to get easy meals.

I wouldn't count of a dog keeping a fox, or any other predator away. I have a large German Shepherd, and most of the neighbours also have large dogs. There is a fox that does a daily tour through all our properties looking for an opportunity to grab something.

Back
Top Bottom