Two ducks just killed. One now left.

Anconaduck99

Hatching
Dec 6, 2021
She’s crying. Ugh. I think it was the neighbor‘s dog or some other predator. We found the dead male but not the other one. Now we only have one girl left. Anyone in SW FL want my Ancona (5 months) or can give me one of their girls (about the same age)? I’m distraught and feel so awful for my one girl. I hate to leave her by herself. She is in her cage now so is safe, but I’m thinking about the near term. Will/can she be happy by herself? I can perhaps get more ducklings in January.

She’s crying. Ugh. I think it was the neighbor‘s dog or some other predator. We found the dead male but not the other one. Now we only have one girl left. Anyone in SW FL want my Ancona (5 months) or can give me one of their girls (about the same age)? I’m distraught and feel so awful for my one girl. I hate to leave her by herself. She is in her cage now so is safe, but I’m thinking about the near term. Will/can she be happy by herself? I can perhaps get more ducklings in January.
She will definitely be lonely. I would say find a home with other ducks or find her a couple companions. What kind of coop or run do you use? How is the dog or predator getting to her? Do you free range?

We are all fenced in, so I don’t know how a dog would get in. Maybe a hawk? They free range during the day time then are in a coop in the night. They were killed about 5pm when it was still light out. I’m wondering if I need to bring the ducks (hurts to say that since I only now have 1) in earlier. Maybe 4 when it is still full light out.

If it is a hawk they can get them at any part of the day.
Yes, that’s true. I’m wondering what else I could have done? I have a predator-proof coop, but I wanted them to be able to roam throughout our 2 acres during the day. And they did enjoy that. I’d hate to keep them in the coop all day and all night.

Its kinda just a risk taken when free ranging. I would try to keep them inside a covered run but its up to you. I let mine free range but they are around horses and I am always around watching for hawks. If I see a hawk, I whistle loudly to alert it and let it know I'm watching it. It usually moves away once I do.

They don't compare being vulnerable to a sitting duck for no reason.They need secure enclosures during the day if a predators wiped out the whole flock except one.Personally I would rehome her and get more after making a portable run you can move around on an acre.A game camera would help identify the presence of predators.Sorry for your loss!

Yes, that’s true. I’m wondering what else I could have done? I have a predator-proof coop, but I wanted them to be able to roam throughout our 2 acres during the day. And they did enjoy that. I’d hate to keep them in the coop all day and all night.
I recommend a hoop coop for your birds inside an electric fence around the perimeter of your acreage .It will protect your livestock from 4 legged predators and aerial predators.

Back
Top Bottom